back to article Acer extends Aspire One netbook line with 11.6in model

Acer has ramped up its Aspire One netbook family - arguably pushing the range out of netbook territory with a 11.6in model. Acer Aspire One 751 Acer's Aspire One 751: 11.6in screen Said machine, described simply as the "11.6in Aspire One" will be equipped with an Intel Atom processor Acer wouldn't name but - given the use …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stop increasing screen size..

And just make 3G standard across the range.

I couldn't give a shit about an extra inch screen space, but 3G is the killer app to netbooks for me.

2ghz atom + 10 inch screen + 3G with a 6 cell battery for under £320.

2. Robert Grant

@AC #1

I'm similar; this is what I want:

1.6GHz Atom minimum, 10" touch+folding screen, 6 cell battery, 3G/HSDPA, under 1.1Kg, under £300.

I'll keep dreaming :)

3. Nick Palmer

@AC

OK, that's what YOU want from a netbook, but not everyone wants the same thing. I couldn't really care less about 3G and the 10" screen's a bit too big for me - I prefer the 8.9" screen, since it makes the machines about as compact as the original 7" Eee, but has the same 1024x600 display as the 10" machines.

4. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Thumb Up

Best I have had so far.

I bought an AAO about 6 months ago, fantastic piece of kit, way better than my old ASUS. Only nice additions would have been standard Broadcom Wifi PCI card and BlueTooth, but when you have a mini that can boot XP, Linux and OSX all from the same HD you can't really grumble if you have to add a few hardware hacks to get it 100% right.

Good to see they are continuing to update the range.

5. Egons Proton Pack
    Stop

is it to much to ask?

I would prefer it if they could put more money in to hiring programmers to sort out the issues with the Linpus install on my aspire one rather than spit out another "new" model.

I know I could always change the install to <insert distro here> but I dont really want the hassle, I just want it to work. is it to much to ask?

6. James

Linux?

Will we be able to avoid having to pay a windows tax and will Acer still be supporting Linspire or some other flavour far into the future?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Acer can stick it.

After our appalling experience with an admittedly budget Aspire 5051 notebook sold with Vista Home pre loaded, and the completely unsympathetic response from their support desk when enquiring about downgrading to XP, they can stick their products where the sun don't shine.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

oriented? oriented?

I think you mean orientated.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

screen resolution?

netbooks have not enough screen resolution.

Put a 1366x768 10" screen and load it up with Ubuntu (for less cash than the IDENTICAL hardware Windows offering) and I'll happily buy one.

10. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: is it to much to ask?

"I know I could always change the install to <insert distro here> but I dont really want the hassle, I just want it to work. is it to much to ask?"

Yes. That's absurd, but the evidence of the last year or so, across all the netbook vendors, is that they feel compelled to install a "proprietary linux" which then gets bog all support because (let's face it) these people are hardware types, not softies. (Maybe they've all signed secret agreements with Microsoft to keep the Linux option crap.)

Your best bet is probably to stick *buntu Hardy on it. It'll take you all afternoon to get the fscking wireless to work, but it's pretty solid thereafter. (There was a kernel panic problem a month or so back but it seems to be fixed in the latest patches.) Intrepid is just as flaky on the wireless and has no bluetooth stack to speak of. Jaunty is still a dodgy beta and the evidence (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne) is that they are still deciding what's going to be broken in the final release. If you can hold off a few weeks, it might be worth considering. :)

Can we have a Penguin pooing on the keyboard icon, for all those occasions when the best that can be said for Linux is that the alternatives are worse?

11. Fogcat

Daft name - but ....

I've just tried "easy peasy" linux (1.1 RC1) on my AAO - booting from a USB trive to test it out and it looks preety good. Wireless works out of the box - and better than Linpus in that it will find adhoc access points. The launcher can easily be switched off and on to give a normal desktop if you prefer that.

12. Patrick

Why

I have had my fill of these "netbook" sorry psion.

I got from a local Computer market a "philips" x67 rebranded twinhead

its got A real cpu a Core duo 1.06ghz 11.1" gloss tft

120gb hd

DVD rewriter built in yes built in

firewire, lan, modem, wifi

it did have Vista on it but thats gone to a legal version of XP home and COA was got for £15.00

5 hour battery life using power saving mode.

and can play full HD wmv files no problem

screen is 1366*768?

Only cost £240.00 with 6 months warranty.

Turns out battery no good. but I was able to rebuild it with new cells . but a real new one costs £100 even at £355 it can do a damn site more than the slowwww atom cpu ever can and give a very good battery life too.

13. uhuznaa

Screen

These displays and resolutions just don't make sense to me. 1024x600 is too tight (especially if you're doing a lot of reading/writing) and having a higher resolution at the same screen size leads to an unhealthy posture...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Patrick

You forget to mention the key feature of your laptop: "it weighs a ton".

15. Patrick

its not a ton

My core duo laptop is only just under 1.6kg so its still ok to carry it around.

and as the likes of Hp 2140 is 1.2kg I guess for the extra power and the fact it has dvd rewriter. i can live with the back pain from carrying the extra 400g

16. Patrick
    Coat

@Anonymous Coward

Last night I was re-encoding a 1080 wmv hd file using windos xp movie maker and also able to play a 1080 hd file and still the cpu never got more than 70% while doing both. show me a atom netbook that can do that.

looking for pain killers for my bad back....that extra 400g is killing me.....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like