back to article Google caches payment card details for 19,000 Brits

More evidence of Google's success in organizing the world's information and making it universally accessible: Payment card details for 19,000 Brits were recently found hosted in the search engine's web cache. The details included the names, addresses, card numbers and expiry dates for UK-based holders of Visa, MasterCard and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Henry
    Thumb Down

Fail

Shock horror! A major internet search engine is used to find information on the internet! Who would have thought it? Seriously, if you're using the Daily Fail as a source of information, you're doing journalism wrong.

2. Simon
    Coat

URL?

So this is the Google cash site?

I'm going ...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

The Internets are evil

EVIL!

4. jake Silver badge

Does stolen info want to be free?

I don't think so. "Info" doesn't want anything.

Rather, "Insecure information" is available to whoever wants it.

Don't blame the database ... blame the folks making it available all and sundry.

That's not Google, BTW ... that's the idiots allowing Google to index them ...

5. Frank

A Free Storage Service?

Does this mean that I can use Google's web cache as a free online storage facility? How long does the cache last until it is flushed or refreshed? This will need careful management but there could be an opportunity here.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MANY of them are cancelled?

Not all of them? I'd have thought, from a banks point of view that the most intelligent thing to do, would be to automatically block cards that get posted to the net like that, and contact the customer to inform them that they might be a victim of fraud.

It'd save them money, because they wouldn't be refunding fraud victims all the time.

7. Neil Porter
    Joke

Don't worry

The way to check if your credit card details are affected is to type your credit card number into Google and do a search. To be extra thorough, also do this search on Yahoo, MSN, etc.

That'll do it.

Anyone without the time or skills to do this, please post your credit card numbers here and I will search for you.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

cybercriem

Go onto any cybercrime forum. Public etc

And you will find more than this. Google is indexing old public shizzle. Nothing new there

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Finger Drive?

Are the Faily Fail limited for pictures? Looks like finger drive man is making a cameo in this story.

Does having a downsized digit create a penchant for browsing cached financials. I think this is conclusive evidence. New headline:

Finnish Finger Freak Steals Your Money

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/03/17/usb_finger_bloke/

10. Adam Salisbury
    Thumb Down

And this is why...

No useless, incompetent, money-grabbing, exploitative corp or gov should be allowed anywhere anyone's data. Only when they prove it won't be published to the world within 10 minutes of aquiring it will I submit it.

Someone had better the fired, and by fired I mean from a cannon, into the Sun!

11. regadpellagru
    Flame

No big deal

Really. Since the people in question have been stupid enough to post their *real* visa number rather than a one usage number like all serious banks (and certainly all in this country) provide, sometimes as a free service.

And in case the said numbers haven't been used for many weird usages already, I find it cool that Google help those morons to *really* understand they should have a clue, by pushing the numbers to world + dog.

That way, they'll learn.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

So how do we check?

Google our credit card numbers?

How secure would that be?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like