back to article Sony-Ericsson warns of handset slump

Sony-Ericsson warned today that it expects to sell just 14 million mobile handsets in the first quarter of 2009. That compares to 24.2m in the fourth quarter of 2008, which was in turn down 21 per cent on the same period a year ago. The joint venture expects average selling price to be down slightly to €120 and margin to also …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jamie
    Linux

Any wonder.

If they actually had any customer service and thier phones were any good then there would be no issues.

I purchased an Xperia X1 in November last year. Since then my phone has had the battery life cut in about half, needs to be charged on a daily basis to avoid dying even when not in use. The interface will freeze on a regular basis. And the update software is useless, will not function and if you contact the technical support you do not get any response.

One thing this purchase has done for me is to make sure that I never buy another Sony/Sony Ericsson product again.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@jamie

am sorry to hear. rumour has it that the silver ones were defective & were taken back by SE- may be you can try a replacement. the black ones were good & were launched 1st. the latest SE upate software works better. the updated firmware fixes all the bugs you have & i wish you good luck there.

3. Nigel Wright
    Stop

It runs Windows Mobile....

...what else did you expect from a crappy and antiquated o/s? My WinMo phones are equally crappy.

4. Matt
    Unhappy

bring back the Osterich!!

The only Sony phones that I ever used that were ever any good were the analogue 'mars bar' 333 and the CMD-Z1 'walking osterich' phone...

And Ericssons were amazing back then too.

5. Matthew
    Thumb Down

Crappy phones lately too

Im still sticking to my K800 until another good one comes along

6. Alan W. Rateliff, II
    Paris Hilton

Hate to hear all of it

I have enjoyed my SonyEricsson phones. I have always had great service from them, though I will say that I felt a little abandoned with my K790a when I could not get a firmware update to fix a laundry list of bugs I discovered. Finally I went through a third-party solution to flash the firmware to the latest available for the unit, and all but a few bugs were taken care of (at least the devs were listening, right?) And my PC-300 3G card is fantastic.

While all this talk is a little worrisome, I could conclude that they will be punting the C905 for a little less than regular retail. Maybe they will plan more Bluetooth 2.0 devices rather than 1.x earpieces -- more bandwidth and less power consumption, why not?

All said, I very much like the quality and feature set of my SE equipment, and would hope that Sony carries the torch when all is said and done.

Paris, quality and feature set.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like