back to article Second rogue Facebook app bewilders users

Scoundrels have created another rogue Facebook application, the second to hit the social networking site in less than a week. In the second attack, Facebook users receive notices that they have supposedly being reported for violation of the social networking site's terms of service by someone in their friends list. A link on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Facebook users

deserve everything they get.

The ONLY reason to use FB is to play MOB WARS.

2. Lee
    Paris Hilton

Bewilders?

What's bewildering is the average internet user seems to be dumb enough to click on anything. If you want to lose all of your money, your house, your reputation: "Click here"

I saw this incoming notice yesterday and though "that's bollocks". I can only assume that, having seen it only once and surely being connected to many below average "friends", it was actually too scary for many to click on.

Paris - because she has not clicked on the friend invite I sent her yet.....good lass! ;-)

3. Mark

Maybe I'm just missing something

But in their race to become popular these sites should have operated a whitelist policy rather than a blacklist one for their so-called APIs - although it wouldn't have made you instantly bollock-hot property it could have saved some tears in the long run.

4. caffeine addict

The coward above is obviously a fool.

Mousehunt. That's the ONLY reason.

right, who's next...?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

re: My advice to Facebook users is to think very carefully before adding any new applications

surely better advice would be - stop using facebook and get a real life :p

6. nobby

They are alone. They are a dying people. We should let them pass.

who? the narn or the centari?

yes.

Someone kill facebook and put us all out of its misery

7. Brian Whittle
    Thumb Up

Spiffing

I live the word Scoundrels

8. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

"affected users have formed a group..."

LOL, facebook users form a group for anything, as though by being in a group it makes things better.... it reminds me of how decisions in the public sector get made (at least in the places i have worked) ....

"Can't make a decision on your own? ", "Even though it's technically your responsibility?" ... "Well form a comitteee that way no-one gets the blame!"

9. nigel

Re: Bewilders?

Lee - I just tried to click on "Click here" but your link doesn't work. Please fix it and I'll try again ;)

10. Admiral Grace Hopper
    Thumb Up

@Brian Whittle

Indeed. The perfect epithet for these blackguards.

11. John Stirling
    Paris Hilton

Don't criticise the Facebook users

I have started two groups in my time,

'We have empty howling souls', specifically for El Reg members who have the dishonour of also having facebook accounts (15 members, I'm sure it got up to 17 before I lost interest months ago). Feel free to apply to join, I'll add you any month I log on.

and

'Don't join my group - it's only for me', which has one member, and isn't for joining, and is a poste something or other comment on the Facebook meme. Or something. 'We' even have real life meetings for that one, and interchanges are quite vigorous.

PH Icon? I've just made a comment about vigorous interchanges, and you have to ask?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Facebook Users

'Think very carefully' and 'facebook users'

Not often u see those 2 phrases in the same sentence...

13. Ian
    Pirate

@Brian Whittle

Is that a typo, or do you really /live/ the word 'Scoundrels'?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Some good advice I came across recently.

Never ever, EVER give the internet your real identity.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The real reason for facebook...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFKHaFJzUb4

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perhaps

Perhaps Graham Cluely needs to think very carefully about using "Think" and "Facebook User" in a single non-derogatory sentance.

Mainstream computer users will click on anything and enter any password they're asked for if they think they'll lose/gain something for not doing it/doing it. This is why, short of introducing mandatory competance tests, we'll never produce anything truely secure that's suitable for mainstream use.

17. Lionel Baden

apps

i dont think i have added 1 single application !

i feel smug !!

18. mittfh

Sigh...

Remember "Good Times"?

Or the numerous chain letters you immediately deleted, knowing full well that forwarding it on to everyone in your address book would *NOT* make you fabulously wealthy, and the process of deleting it would *NOT* wreak terrible havoc on your life...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like