back to article AMD Phenom II Socket AM2+ CPU

AMD has updated its quad-core Phenom processor with a die-shrink from 65nm to 45nm. The first fruits of this labour are the 3.0GHz Phenom II X4 940 and the 2.8GHz Phenom II X4 920, which are both clocked higher than the 2.6GHz Phenom X4 950 so the die shrink has an immediate benefit in terms of raw clock speed. AMD Phenom II …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. E
    Thumb Down

It is one way to fill space.

This is a space-filler article complete with sensationalistic subtitle. PII has been known not to be terribly competitive against i7 for some weeks. This effort merely confirms what everyone knows.

2. James Henstridge

Memory configurations

What sort of memory configurations were in the test machines? The scores for the Core i7 are a lot better than everything else, which would indicate a significantly different configuration or technology.

I'd definitely like to see some numbers for the Phenom II with DDR3 memory to give a better comparison, although I'd expect it to still lose out to the i7 if we're comparing triple channel to dual channel.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

I like blue and green too!

... but you wouldn't see me reusing them both on the same bar chart. Generally speaking you have a few millions of colors, they ought to be evenly spread throughout the pallet.

@E - Please refrain from using "PII" to describe Phenom II, since it's already been taken by Pentium II.

Paris, because she knows a box of crayons has lots of colors in it. Just don't ask her how many are in a box of 64.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Invalid comparison

As per title, this really isn't a valid comparison as the Core i7 platform is DDR3 vs the Phenom 2 on DDR2. The other factor that's been completely ignored is also pretty damn important from both a home and business perspective - total platform cost.

£35 for 2 GB DDR2 1066 vs £100 for 2 GB DD3 1333 makes a difference as does £40 for an AM2 motherboard against £180 for the socket 1366 equivalent. If you factor that into the equation it looks like a much more respectable result. If the cost of setting up the Phenom 2 was £200 more expensive then a like for like comparison would be valid but at present it's apples and oranges.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: price comparison

Not to mention the, like, 100 quids difference between the Phenom II and the i7 920. make it 600 quids if we're talking i7 extreme. A valid comparison, price-wise, would be 1 i7 (920) against 2 Phenom II. But now it's not even on the power consumption front anymore. Head hurts.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like