back to article Google gives world net test lab

Joining forces with some close friends, Google has given the world an online lab for testing the behavior of its internet connections. Yesterday, in tandem with the New America Foundation's Open Technology Institute and the PlanetLab Consortium, the search giant unveiled Measurement Lab - a distributed server platform where …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Liddle
    Unhappy

Not for Europe ?

Tried the sites, all for UsA, maybe several months for Europe and the rest of the world ?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Hmmmm . yes i am still a coward

Virgin Media 20mb connection results

Speed Test - Down = 18.92Mb/s, Up = 730.0kb/s which is not bad considering the nearest server was Switzerland, actually getting 94.6% of the BW i am paying for download speaking anyway uploads not to tardy too although the huge disparity in all asynchronous connections is annoying.

Bitorrent - No indication that Virgin throttles upload or download BT traffic which is nice to know should i ever use an app that uses the Bittorrent protocol which i dont think i do since i switched from the download BBC iplayer to the streaming one.

Update (Queues too long for my MTV generation attention span to wait)

Other tools are not working yet, but good job Google, you may be taking over the world but your doing a darn fine job convincing plebs like me that your not evil ............ which ironically suggests your more evil than i thought. Ill male a new tin foil hat whilst i wait for the last test to queue through.

As for Virgin, i am pleasantly surprised, now if they could just get their demoniacally possessed evil customer (dis)services fixed we'd be laughing. Still at least there not British Gas and no worse than Sky or BT even though thats like saying at least the knife the mugger stabs you with is no bigger than the other muggers knife who stabbed you last year.

3. Grozbat
    Unhappy

Doesn't adress all problems

I have a problem that this tool probably won't address.

My girlfriend and I have the same ISP, and although speed measurements against external servers show correct speed figures, the speed between my flat and hers is consistently 85% lower than it should be.

It seems that as long as we stay with in our ISP's network, the speed is deliberately strangled.

I have complained to my ISP about this, but they just brush me off with a "we don't address this kind of problem".

Anyone have similar experiences?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Doesn't adress all problems

On my old ISP there were some IP blocks that if you got assigned to them you couldn't communicate with any of the other users on the other IP blocks (same ISP). Reconnecting my BB 24 times so I could finally VNC and fix up my folks computer was just such fun.

So 'only' getting 85% should be the least of your worries :P

5. Simon B
    Stop

I wonder how much personal data google will take for the privilege!

And I'm sure google trawls as much about you, your eating habits, surfing habits, political views etc etc etc in the process!

6. John McNeally
    Unhappy

No bashing...

What?! Mr. Metz didnt complain about google????

This way you wont get your 15 mins of fame dude...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like