back to article Benjamin Button eyes 13 Oscars

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button has been nominated for 13 Oscars, with Slumdog Millionaire pressing for ten and Dark Knight and Milk in the running for eight statuettes. Dark Knight doesn't feature in the best picture category, but Heath Ledger must be a hot bet to claim the supporting actor crown, given Hollywood's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Snake Plissken

Best picture.

Wall-E should have been nominated. I suspect EVE is going to be *pissed*.

2. Martin Lyne

Kate Winslet, Double Golden Globes?

Guffaw!

3. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Kate Winslet, Double Golden Globes?

Sigh. Is your mother proud of you, Martin?

4. lglethal Silver badge
    Thumb Down

I must be way out of touch

As apart from the Dark Night, Wall E and Kung Fu Panda (none of which ive actually seen) i havent heard of any of the rest! My finger must certainly be on the pulse of modern cinema!

And any film with a name like "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" deserves to have the writers, directors, producers and everyone else involved with the film horsewhipped for using such a bloody stupid name, not rewarded with Ocsar nominations! God awful name, just awful! *shakes head in disgust*

5. Efros
    Thumb Down

Benjamin Button

Sucks!

6. Gary
    IT Angle

IT?

Someone had to say it, so I will...

IT?

7. h4rm0ny

Heath Ledger

Aside from all the other reasons it's sad that Heath Ledger is dead, is also that if they do give him the Oscar for best supporting actor, some people will think it was because of his death. And who knows, maybe it will be a factor on the panel's minds. But it *was* a terrific performance. It can't be easy to be convincing as a Batman villain, but Heath Ledger pulled it off.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Snake Plissken?

I heard you were dead.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Oh, Martin

that "joke" was done to death way back when it was topical...

Turning to the little gold dudes instead, I hope Fincher's work gets some sort of recognition this time around: the man is a genius. Oh, and if Wall-E doesn't get Best Animated Feature, there will be trouble.

And finally, while we're on a movie tip, where was Teh Reg coverage of the nominations for this year's Razzies? The clue is in the icon, people...

10. Pyros

@ Sarah Bee

Wager a pint that he's still living in his parent's basement? >)

11. Pierre

Benjamin Button

Could have been a nice film if "they" hadn't cliché'd it to death, making it an 2h30+ collection of sentences previously heard in "Titanic", "Amelie Poulain", "My Best Friend's Wedding" and the like. And better actors might have helped too (though honestly, Pitt and Blanchett have both done much worst). As is, the movie only qualifies as a loooong director's cut for a bonus DVD. To be seen by the afficionados of the "real" movie. Too bad this "real" movie won't ever be released...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ lglethal

I'm sure F. Scott Fitzgerald will be taking your comments on board and duly altering his manuscript to something more acceptable to your delicate little sensibilities, just as soon as he's finished being dead. Although I'm guessing that, in light of your admission that you haven't seen a great many movies from the last year, you probably haven't read a great many short stories from nearly 90 years ago.

13. Watashi

Through a glass darkly

The Dark Knight for Best Picture? Not even the short list?

I guess the Acadamy don't know sh*t.

14. Jared Earle
    Thumb Down

WALL-E?

Only nominated for best animated feature? If even WALL-E doesn't get nominated for best movie, I suspect an animated feature can never get the gong.

15. Lee T.
    Coat

@ Sarah Bee

Sting!

alright, alright, I'm going...

16. Zac
    IT Angle

IT? Seconded

Jeez, I'll go to Empire for movie news. Stick to what you're best at and are still respected for Reg people.

17. Pete
    Heart

And the answer is:

A. Slumdog Millionaire. Wonderful film. Watch the world fall in love with all things Indian (for a wee while anyway)...

18. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: IT? Seconded

I can't believe people still a) query the lack of IT angle *in a story which is clearly in the 'entertainment' section* like blithering monomaniacs and b) imagine for an instant that a brusque order for the Reg to do something in future will result in anything but us doing the total opposite.

I mean, it's not hard to grasp. Do you need help tying your shoes, or what?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dead or Alive...

... Ledger deserves the Oscar for the Joker.

As for those blithering about lack of IT angle - Who really cares? I come to the register because I know they'll usually have the best IT news (sometimes a bit behind) and the best of the rest of the news.

20. Chris Hunt
    IT Angle

Stop It

Ok El Reg, DON'T send a new Ferrari, a troop of topless models and £1 million cash round to my house for me to do with as I please. I'm ordering this as brusquely as I can, m'kay?

21. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

ah

I just remembered the other reverse-ageing film of recent years - Francis Ford Coppola's Tim Roth-starring turkey Youth Without Youth. I bet they're mad now.

Carry on.

This topic is closed for new posts.