back to article Griffin cross-pollinates iPhone, Victrola

Three products shown at this week's Macworld Expo - two from no-name vendors using the big stage of Macworld Expo to test their luck - attempt to provide iPhone amplification through acoustical, rather than electronic, means. Each is interesting. None is completely successful. All three are members of that class of off-the- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@the second image

that's a real product is it? i assumed it was reg photoshoppery, and the real product would be on the next page; but no. so, they think that thing will sell to the oh-so style-conscious buyers of the iPhone? hahahahahahahahahaha. ha.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

The ampliphone

...is awesome, and appeals to my inner steampunk. It almost makes me want to get an iPhone. Almost. Beautiful.

3. Charles Manning

SPeakerphone weakness no surprise

I am not at all surprised that the gadget struggles when used as a speaker phone.

The speaker phone function needs echo cancellation etc which normally requires very good modeling of the audio paths. Thus, modifying the audio path is often going to play havoc with the speaker phone function.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cassady & Green

Although C&G published SoundJam, all rights belonged to the developers. So when Apple lured away, C&G got nothing... except it wasn't able to sell a very popular product anymore.

5. TeeCee Gold badge
    Thumb Down

Victrola?

Always wondered what one of these was, so I followed the link.

It says here that a Victrola is an "internal horn phonograph". i.e. the important difference is that the acoustic horn is hidden within the box providing a more pleasing appearance to the device as a piece of furniture. Anyone at Gryphon characterising that enormous excresence as being inspired by such has missed the point. Big time.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like