back to article Middle Earth says hi to Sony's new Vaio

From the far side of the world Sony New Zealand is telling us that a new Vaio is coming. It is a countdown webpage saying that on January 9 a new Vaio will be announced that will change the way we look at notebooks, forever. Coincidentally a day earlier, at the opening of the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Sony …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

..just...take a slice!

Double Touchscreen.

I called it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eh wot?

A clamshell design? You mean like every single laptop ever made?

"It runs Windows, making it smaller than the average netbook". Am I missing something or is that a complete non-sequitur? What does that comment actually mean?

3. Aron
    Jobs Halo

Specs

It's an Atom based machine with 1GB memory, 120GB HDD, 2xUSB, WiFi, 3G and a combined touchpad keyboard similar to the PS3's chat keypad. It will be bundled with a host of communication apps that will allow phone calls, SMS, MMS, VOIP, etc. Not as revolutionary as you think but a pretty good PDA replacement that can be used as a big phone.

4. The Mighty Spang

this does not look like anything new

I used to have a sony in that form factor, this was way before widescreen became even remotely popular in computing. I think I had it in around the year 2000. It was a pentium pro machine IIRC and I used to run IBM VisualAge for Java on it and work on the train.

fantastic little machine, wish i had one now, though I *wont* be able to afford sony prices for a while... sigh...

5. The Mighty Spang

oops should have scrolled the linked article

thats one of them things i had, right there :)

great machine.

6. Jerome
    Thumb Down

Double touchscreen?

The double touchscreen thing, if it turns out to be true, would be a huge shame. The advantage of a touchscreen is ditching the keyboard, so the device can be ultra-slimline and lightweight (see the iPhone). The advantage of a physical keyboard is that you can actually type on it at speed (see the Blackberry). The advantage of two touchscreens and no keyboard is... er, the worst of both worlds?

7. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Stop

It could be so revolutionary a laptop design...

As to be shaped like a badger wearing a satellite ground station. But at the end of the day after the hassle I had with my Sony over the pile of fail that was my Vaio - I wouldn't even touch this with an extremely long and safe stick.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PCG

PCG = Sony Picturebook range as I recall, having owned one of the early incarnations (and vowed never to buy Sony again as a result).

9. Chris Mellor

Reply to Eh wot?

The non sequitur you referred to is now a sequitur - if that makes sense :-)

Chris.

10. Britt Johnston
    Coat

@ jerome - double trouble

'two touchscreens and no keyboard is... er, the worst of both worlds?'

...better than two keyboards and no screen, though.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fire supression system built in?

Maybe the new thing is that the batteries won't burst into flames.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like