back to article Distrust means cop databases suffer arrested development

Police data sharing across the Atlantic and within European is being stymied by technical hurdles and caution over privacy and operational security. This morning, the European Data Protection Supervisor (EDPS) issued an opinion on a joint EU-US report aimed at setting up improved transatlantic police cooperation, which was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jimmy Floyd
    Coat

I know there are a lot of acronyms in this article...

...but did you really feel you had to define what 'EU' and 'US' stand for? :-)

Mine's the one with the dummy down in the pocket.

2. Graham Marsden
    Joke

many coppers are simply reluctant to trust...

... their foreign colleagues with sensitive operational information

Yeah, they might leave it on a train...!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I look forward

To faceless Eurocrats leaving CD's on the excellent public transport infrastructures enjoyed by our European counterparts.

4. Sooty

i thought

That UK data protection laws specifically forbade transfers to America without the data subject's express permission. due to their unbelievably shoddy data security laws.

or is this another law that has 'crept' in order to save us from the nasty terrorists.

5. Chris G
    Black Helicopters

One Database to rule them all

For all of Europe, it should be called Europlod, every body should be on it and every copper from the lowest plod in Albania to the Chief Constable of the Met should be able to access it at any time.

That should fuck it up completely.

The black chopper is to fly me to my mountain bunker somewhere...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is Lewis watching too much BBC?

> Even so it seems that even then the long-anticipated police database hookups, feared by international master crims and privacy campaigners alike, may yet be some way off.

I can't see a single fact in this statement. Vultures need the smell of MEAT, not the possible smell of fear.

7. Columbus
    Coat

Irish Police

I was told by an Irish Policeman that they don't trust any English Police intelligence, as a lot of it should be regarded as fiction.

Surely then Data Protection Law doesn't apply, only copyright?

Mines the one containing the draft copy of "Who we think are Terrorists" by the experts who previously bought you "Brazilian electricians, a field spotters guide"

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Sooty

Actually America does have stricter privacy laws.

In America you don't have to worry about secrets being left on the train. Few few people take public transportation

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like