back to article MP calls for Jezza Clarkson's head

Ipswich Labour MP Chris Mole has written a "strongly-worded" letter to the BBC's director general Mark Thompson demanding that Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson be sacked for suggesting that lorry drivers routinely kill strumpets. Clarkson, 48, was "taking part in a lorry-driving task" during last Sunday's pre-watershed show …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. dodge
    Flame

Not reason enough

Can't they just dismiss Clarkson for being an odious oik with a tired line of argumentative pablum that is by now entirely predictable? And for having stupid hair?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Strongly worded letter....

I am writing a strongly worded letter to said MP to tell him to get a fucking life and stop being a useless c*nt like every other of the nearly 700 MP's in this country. Notice the US manages to get by with considerably fewer congressmen for a much larger population.

As for complaining to the BBC, it is my understanding that MP's claim the license fee on their expenses which means he doesnt pay for it to begin with.

If you dont like Top Gear, dont watch it.

3. Andrew
    Stop

C'mon

Clarkson abuses nearly everyone. If causing offence to someone were a sacking offence at the BBC, they wouldn't have many staff left, especially in light entertainment.

4. Simon Williams
    Stop

bunch of whinging children

Get over yourselves, it's a joke nobody really thinks lorry drivers are all serial killers. There's probably one or 2 who've only killed once.

Clarkson is a twat. Everyone knows it, it's who he is and it's how he makes the money he does. If you don't like it. Don't watch it.

5. Peter Gold badge

The man needs help

It is proper that we acknowledge the grief for the murder of 5 people, whatever their profession at the time, but let's not get sanctimonious about this.

First, Clarkson is known for his bad jokes -that that is part of his popularity should tell politically correct idiots something- so if you can't handle it you shouldn't watch (there are at least 11 remedial buttons on any remote control, labelled 0..9 and on/off).

Second, from a REAL psychological perspective (not a pseudo "I need votes and press coverage", artificial grief perspective) humour is a better weapon against grief then moping around in a depressed state.

All I see here is a bunch of Jeremy haters and those who need votes to try and run with a bandwagon which is in a worst state than whatever car ever featured on Top Gear.

Was I first? No? Damn.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Chris Mole should bear in mind Sir James Goldsmith's remark

"If you see a bandwagon, it's too late - you've already missed it."

7. Neil Greatorex
    Flame

Chris Mole is "strongly for" the ID card

How could anyone here take him seriously after that?

Here's some of his Voting record (from PublicWhip)

Voted moderately for introducing a smoking ban.

Voted strongly for introducing ID cards.

Voted very strongly for introducing foundation hospitals.

Voted strongly for introducing student top-up fees.

Voted very strongly for Labour's anti-terrorism laws.

Voted strongly for the Iraq war.

Voted very strongly against an investigation into the Iraq war.

Voted very strongly for replacing Trident.

Voted very strongly for the hunting ban.

Voted very strongly for equal gay rights.

2006/7 expenses claimed: £143,003

8. radian
    Thumb Down

yawn

Chris Mole - A sad little politician desperately trying to raise his profile.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FFS!

> "For Mr Clarkson to make light of murder in any circumstance must be a dismissible offence."

If that applies, then surely every other modestly offensive comment made by any government or private employee, or even MPs, must also be a sackable offence. I find the MP's comment deeply offensive, and wish to see him dismissed .... immediately. Silly, isn't it?

The MP's reaction is just one more symptom of a country and government gone mad.

10. Sceptical Bastard

Humourless parliamentarian git

I "voted" in the BBC's dismiss-a-comedian poll. But only because I loathe Johnathon Woss so much. Unfortunately, the wrong one resigned.

But I'm fucked if I'm going to join the 'sack Jezza' campaign. Not that Clarkson is likeable - he's an irritating petrol junky and there's something about his big face and bubblehead barnet that makes me want to hit him.

Nonetheless, the 'murder a prostitute' quip was amusing. And who wants to side with a po-faced self-righteous New Lamer apparatchik, especially one with a name out of 'Wind In The Willows'. We pay MPs to work their balls off on our behalf, not watch Top Gear.

BTW, wasn't Peter Sutcliffe (aka the Yorkshire ripper) a lorry driver too? Lorry drivers, eh? Loveable rogues but you wouldn't let your daughter marry one.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Politics as usual...

Unknown MP: "Cool, here's an opportunity for me to get my name into the paper and pretend that I care... 5-days after the initial broadcast... gosh, I'm on the ball..."

12. Dean Ayers

WTF

So, I find the proms a waste of money, I find all the crapy day time decorating shows offence, ive never one in my life been intrested in radio 3.

But do I demand they be taken off air and the presenters sacked?

No, I understand that the BBC is diverse and appeals to many different peoples.

So why is it these moronic MPs and the pc brigade as a whole cant respect that also?

Why cant they realise that with such a wide audience theres allways somthing people wont like.

I mainly use the BBC for 3 things, Top Gear - Chris Moyles show - and the russel brand show (or did) And they want to take two of those 3 programs away,

So Is it okay if I dont pay my TV licence? Oh wait... what a joke.....

13. bigfoot780
    Paris Hilton

The celebrity witch hunt continues

So the UK is sick of hearing about the credit crunch. So let's go after celebrities. That makes sense doesn't it? I agree with the Ross Brand decision but Clarkson is Clarkson and he's not sensitive or PC get used to it.

Paris. Cos she didn't get fake elected.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

sackable offense?

Making fun of lorry drivers is a sackable offense while negligently losing gigabytes of personal and private data on a regular basis isn't?

Paris, 'cause she's the only one who should be given the sack.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

So what?

If they fire him, would he really care that much. The BBC won't fire him cause they know they need him more than he needs them.

Besides, stop being so effing uptight about every little thing that might be seen by SOME as SOMEWHAT offensive, damn it.

16. Chris G

Irritating, boorish, insensitive,

That describes most MPs and sometimes Jeremy Clarkson too but to dismiss him for NOT referring to the Ipswich murders that were commited by a FORKtruck driver is bollocks.

Mr Mole go and do something useful for society and stop indulging in the favourite pastime of your party... Censorship. Clarkson's sense of humour as incorrect as it maybe at times, accurately reflects the sense of humour of much of the population at large, why do you think he is so popular ?

I suppose Jeremy Clarkson is something of an anachronism in that he still believes in freedom of speech even though successive ministers and politicians have steadily eroded it away to the politically correct remnant that it is today.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NuLabour jumping on NuBandwagon

He think there's a mob to be joined so he's jumping on the bandwagon.

He's an idiot.

He's an unelectable life sucking joyless idiot like so many in NuLabour.

18. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Necktopic

Seems a good idea, in these straightened times, to get rid of a few high earners.

I hope it won't stop there. When the presentation is worth more than the content you know it's time to shop elsewhere.

At least they were not graduates of the Blue Peter School of Science.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I call for all those complaining to be sacker

for having chuff-all sense of humour. Especially MPs.

20. Richard Barnes

Exaggeration for comic effect

It's a joke. Everyone knows it's a joke. The CEO of Eddie Stobart was on the radio saying that they all knew it was a joke. All except one twat of an MP desperate for publicity.

This is just one more story to add to the many on the Reg that deepens the contempt we feel for those who govern us.

21. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Alert

Wrong traget.

Surely our MPs have better things to waste their time on? Mind you, what Jezza should have said was "Change ze gear, change ze gear, anyzing in my mirror, change ze lanes and run over ze small family hatchback, change ze gear, run away to foreign home country and try to avoid ze extradition at all ze costs, change ze gear", as that would more accurately reflect the real murder frequently committed by foreign truck drivers on UK roads. Forget all this drive-on-the-right malarkey introduced by that pint-pot dictator Napoleon, just tell Johnny Foreigner he has to switch to driving on the left like all right-minded people do (you Yanks please take note). Maybe the Right Honourable Member for Ipswich would like to take that one up seeing as he seems to have plenty of time on his hands.

22. Wayne
    Flame

Humour? Stuff that, there's puritans voters out there

This country just gets worse and worse. Not only do we have Mandy foisted on us unelected and very much undesired but no-one even has a bloody sense of humour any more. If there was actually an English speaking country that wasn't as prudish/puritan (or worse) I'd vote with my feet. Sadly the English speaking world is universally rubbish - bah humbug!

oh and did I mention I really, really detest Mandy and resent his revival intensely?

23. 4a$$Monkey
    Thumb Down

Ministry of Humour

Perhaps the government should establish a ministry for humour so they can vet what we should find funny. I mean what is the world coming to when you can't make dead prostitute jokes?

24. Big_Boomer Silver badge
    Flame

Parrot Parasites

Oh look, the local MP has gotten all offended now that he has realised that he can squeeze some political capital out of the situation. Get a life you parasite.

If anyone has a right to be offended at Clarksons comments it's Truck drivers, not your constituents (unless they drive Trucks for a living). Most if not all of those probably laughed it off as they are human beings and understand humour, albeit gallows humour, when they hear it.

25. Mike Street
    Unhappy

Offensive

This is the real offence of Woss and... the other one. In many people's opinion, mine included, they completely overstepped the mark, but now every MP in need of publicity will complain about anything at all n the BBC, just because he or she might get the oxygen of publicity.

If Mr Mole wants to generate some real support, how about opposing some of his party's freedom-reducing ideas, especially those of successive Home Secretaries. Of course, THAT might get him whipped (and not in a good way).

So that will never happen.

26. Martin Cropper
    Stop

Anyone in Ipswich?

Please could someone in his constituency point out to this fool that Wright was a fork lift truck driver, and that it wasn't a veiled reference to him. (I would do, but he won't respond if you don't live in his constituency)

http://www.chrismolemp.org.uk/contact_me

Please could someone make these do-gooding types, who obviously don't even watch the program, STOP!

27. dervheid
    Stop

You'd have thought...

that he maybe had more important things to worry about, like how the current global financial 'crisis' was going to affect his constituents.

Still, nothing more important than a bandwagon, eh?

Must have missed the last one.

Dickhead.

28. TeeCee Gold badge

Ho hum.

Another article from the department of the sun coming up then.

A Labour MP = Dickhead.

Who knew?

The only thing of note here is that with other such recently, I think that we probably have enough empirical evidence to support the postulate:

All Labour MPs = Dickheads.

29. David

Wossie syndrome?

Sounds like the Jonathan Ross syndrome - under the illusion he can do what he likes. Probably get away with it - just like Ross.

30. Alex Cooper

And what is the betting that....

.....out of those 500, 499 didn't even see the show. Some people really do need to get a grip and a sense of humour.

31. Ian Hindmarsh
    Flame

Irony anyone?

What do I do if I am some insignificant never been heard of Labour MP? Express fake outrage and take a tilt at an easy target, Clarkson has made a career by being a gob on a stick and is often very funny, actually I thought the episode in question was one of the better ones for a while.

32. The Druid

What about all those MPs?

I'd like quite a few MPs sacked, especially when you consider the cock-ups they make. Does it happen? No. When is the media going to stop listening to the morons who run, um, mess up our country?

33. Peter Labrow

Get a life - and a sense of humour

Some people should focus their time on things which are more important - especially MPs who are paid to do so. Humour can be offensive to some, and even the good old slip on a banana skin is a laugh at someone else's expense. Clarkson did not mean ill to anyone by this. For goodness' sake, pretty soon we're not going to be able to laugh about anything without some retentive twonk bleating on about it, demanding blood. Get back on with your real job, and lighten up.

34. David Kelly

Ridiculous

Time to write that MP a strongly worded letter telling him / her that if they can afford to waste time on such a non-issue they should be fired from their office.

35. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

A strongly worded letter

Dear unconcerned reader, I think it is outrageous that public servants should be made to suffer so regularly from little or no sense of humour syndrome or sense of humour failure. To so rarely make light of anything is in my view a totally disgraceful way to behave and I feel it is a certainly a sacking offence. Yes, I think Labour MP Chris Mole has a lot to answer for. How someone of this character could be allowed to hold this official position overseeing so many important tasks is totally beyond my comprehension.

If Chris Mole is not dismissed for his part in this tragic display of misunderstanding then he should be at the very least required to enter a program of rehabilitation. In my view the only hope for the afflicted likes of Labour MP Chris Mole is for some kind of Clockwork Orange style sense of humour training and a sharp wake-up call (in the face). In an ideal world failure to spot a joke should be made illegal with punishment of either an on the spot fine or a court appearance with community service or a short prison term for regular offenders. Our community will suffer if we continue to turn a blind eye to these offenders.

Yours sincerely, with much disheartenment and anger...

Nob End

36. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

JC in offense shocker

Seriously, anyone who watches JC speak and doesn't expect to be offended is a fool. If you don't like what he says, turn it off.

37. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will the madness never end?

I'm off to Downing Street to sort this out

38. peter
    Happy

Anti-complaint

Where do I go to register an anti-complaint on the BBC website? I wast to offset one of the complaints from those who don't have a sense of humour.

39. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Get a grip on reality Chris Mole

FFS this is rediculous. MPs wading in on TV comedy. What I think more appalling is that this labour MP is going for headline grabbing soundbites about the inconsequential when his party has and continues to screw up the entire country whilst blaming "world factors". Really who cares about what Jezza says when manufacturing has gone completely down the toilet and labour's wonderful insurance telesales economy has been off-shored?!

This MP should make a public appology for wasting the taxpayers time & start doing his job for his constituents by opposing some of the dumb ideas his own party are touting. He is just jumping on the Ross/Brand bandwagon way after the fact for some cheap publicity. I for one find Jezza funny along with 5,000,000 other people who watched it... I bet more than half the complaints came from people who didn't even watch the show, including this MP.

</rant>

40. Tim Croydon
    Stop

AAaaaaaaaaarrrgggghhhhh

Just stop it. Everyone.

If you're determined to put your effort into being 'against' something, please channel it be signing up for charity work and leading by example, rather than railing against the (increasingly few) channels of entertainment we have left that, at the end of the day, really don't make that much difference to anyone.

41. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ipswitch?

Now, could there be a self serving reason that the MP from Ipswitch is calling for Jezzer's head?

I am reminded of when the MP for the constituency where Leah Betts lived (David Aimis?) was cought out by the "new drug Cake"/Chris Morris thing.

42. Mr Larrington
    Dead Vulture

Up until Wednesday...

...I thought he was talking about Peter Sutcliffe. So perhaps it's not quite as much of an urban legend as Auntie is making out.

43. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

After all

We do need more media censorship. Stupid TV personalities, thinking they can say whatever they like!

44. Luke
    Flame

BURN HIM!!

I have a Monty Pythonish mental image of the 500 complainers wearing mud encrusted peasant outfits, flaming torch in one hand, copy of the Daily Heil in the other.

Who will be next for the medieval witch hunt? Brand is gone, Ross is on his way, Clarksons' departure is in progress. I think Alan Titchmarsh stepped on a beetle the other day - BURN HIM!!

45. Richard Williams
    Thumb Down

Only 500 complaints?

Poor effort. All the old ladies and morally outraged unemployed must still be exhausted from their recent Manuelgate exertions.

"Can't....feign...righteous indignation....any more"

46. Richard

Now where did I leave that green pen?

Yet again, we have a disproportionate number of complaints, from blowhards who probably didn't even watch the show, aren't lorry drivers, aren't prostitutes, aren't even related to the victims etc.

If the BBC buckles then I'll be mightily pissed off.

Lets not forget, that Steve Wright was NOT a lorry driver anyway. He drove a forklift.

47. Tony Hoyle
    Stop

The Daily Mail strikes again

Fresh from their success last week, the DM is going after Top Gear (and I'm told Mock The Week - for a gag broadcast originally *two years ago* but that doesn't stop them).

You can bet all 500 of the complaints were after the DM article, and are from people who never even watched the programme. Funny how they never complain when he makes disparaging remarks about germans...

48. James Hughes

Tell the MP to b****r off

The fact that it was JC who made the comment is completely irrelevant - if it was offensive it doesn't matter who said it.

On the other hand, it wasn't even offensive, and for GODS SAKE, Steve Wright was a FORKLIFT DRIVER not a LORRY DRIVER, so the comment wasn't even about him!!! I listened to this MP numpty on the radio last night and he had the audacity to say he spoke for the families for the murdered women in Ipswich, (The ones Clarkson wasn't talking about) when he hadn't even spoken to them about it! Talk about getting on the bandwagon. The R4 presenter could have given him a much harder time - I wish he had.

49. Dave Fox
    IT Angle

Can we can all do this?

I wonder how many of the 500 complaints came from people who actually watched the show? My guess would be practically none since the *many* millions who watch Top Gear would know what the humour is like in the show and take it in the spirit it was intended.

I suggest that if Jeremy Clarkson appealed to viewers of his show to write to Chris Moles "employers" and demand that he be sacked, there would many more than 500 people calling for his head. The difference of course, is that JC (wow - just realized that!) would probably mean it in jest, and doesn't require the sort of cheap publicity that this MP is seeking.

Give it a rest "MP Chris Moles" and get in touch with the people you are supposed to represent. I'd hazard a guess that if the BBC were to act on your "demands" to sack JC, you'd find yourself far more unpopular with the electorate than JC is, though given the current government that may actually be quite hard to achieve.

British - and proud of the fact that we can laugh at almost anything!

Regards,

Dave

50. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

easy now

All this stuff isn't going to kill off comedy any more than 9/11 killed off movie explosions. I don't know if you remember but at the time people were flapping about how it was the end of Hollywood.

I know that's a very glib comparison, but... oh, I'm fired now, aren't I. Bugger.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.