back to article Jonathan Schwartz scrambles aboard the Obama train

Sun showed it can still get ahead of the crowd last night, as it became the first tech company to try and grab some reflected glory from Barack Obama's victory in the US election. The polls had barely closed in California, before Sun CEO Jonathan Schwartz' blogged this comment on Obama's win. "On behalf of Sun Microsystems, I …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meh

What a smarmy self-serving git.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Cough cogh

Well... he did not need a lot of data integrity apparently... Cough... After all he accepted donations from Uncle Scroodge and Donald the Duck... Cough... Cough...

I would not use the ability to hold in their details in a campaign donation database as an endorsement.

3. Steve Button Silver badge
    Happy

I can imagine the copy / paste...

"On behalf of Sun Microsystems, I would like to offer my sincerest congratulations to President elect [insert winning candidate here]. What an extraordinary accomplishment."

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And on this day...

Sun is holding it's stockholder meeting in Santa Clara, where we'll have our chance to vote on Schwartz as well... :)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Scott's top 10 list

Scott's Top 10 list

1) Sun's highend is in a free fall because customers are moving to Power rather than migrating to Fujtisu technology.

2) Sun just announced end of life (January) for USIV+, and the (Fujitsu) M class is not very profitable compared to their own highend

3) Sun only wrote down the good will of hardware acquisitions, when will they write down the MySQL $1B acquisition?

4) Suns MySQL revenue/growth is hidden with all the other middleware and the MySQL added.

5) JS may not hear customers say they are moving to Power, but that is because he is not talking to customers who are throwing them out for Power systems

6) How can JS talk about additional acquisitions several times when they are writing off billions from prior acquisitions as failures?

7) Sun's revenue is in free fall because the MySQL acquisition and Sun's sales strategy is to replace all Oracle installations with MySQL and they are at war in the sales force. What they miss is most Oracle customers have enterprise license agreements and MySQL customers on Power are very happy to run their business on Power.

8) Sun does not have a leader who inspires the team. Nicknames are a symptom of a disgruntled workforce

9) Page 6 is an indication that Sun is being more transparent so someone will buy them for the value of the parts.

10) The clock is ticking and there is no guidance for anything better.

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/

6. K

Your attention please

LOL LOL LOL!

That is all, thank you.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

What is "Solaris" ? :-)

MySQL as a database, but Linux / FreeBSD as the OS, running Apache. So who needs Solaris, after all? Not even John McCain - his site is running Linux...

8. Andrew Clarke

O'Reilly got there first

Perhaps because it's a publishing house, you don't consider O'Reilly to be a tech company. But Tim O'Reilly did endorse Obama before 04-Nov-2008: http://radar.oreilly.com/2008/10/why-i-support-barack-obama.html

Cheers, APC

9. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Oi, Schwatz!

Listen Johnny, things are pretty bad at Sun, we all know it, the shareholders know it, so don't try and cover it over with this sad display of tongue assisted, boot polishing!

Oh and while you're at it, get your hair cut!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Schwartz is a crafty one.....

He figures that if the Feds are going to bail out the banks, insurance companies and GM he might as well get Sun on the gravy train as well.....

11. Sam Gaw
    Flame

MySQL You Say?

There wasn't any mention of how they managed to get into the campaign's network :D

12. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Sun shareholders vote to not pay Mini-me

the most painful stockholder mtg ever

13. andy rock
    Stop

RE: Scott's top 10 list

hey, you there! that's a lot of Power you're packing. one might say you were quite Powerful in your literary style. with Power.

did i manage to get the word Power (the pro-noun, of course!) in my comment as many times as you did? you do realise that when people (ie you and those like you) write these things slating one company and NOT giving more than one alternative, you just come across as a marketing bot?

do you like IBM by any chance? :-)

14. Kevin Hutchinson
    IT Angle

Did the Obama Campaign pay for MySQL Enterprise?

...or did they just download and use the free version?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like