back to article Fiat unwraps 'leccy buggy concept

There appears to be life in the self-appointed Apple of the electric car world after all. Hard on the heels of news of job losses and retrenchment comes the first official teaser shot of the planned Tesla S. The backside of the planned electric Lexus GS/Chrysler 300C challenger is shown peeping out from under a dust cover held …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gary Littlemore

I want one...

Fiat's Bugster: I want one, where do I sign? Even if it was LHD.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Must...Buy...Bugster

Now THAT looks like a fun car! And as it's Fiat- and for the Brazillians- it'll probably be fairly cheap.

*starts saving*

3. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Bugster in the mud ...

Does spray from the front wheels plaster the passengers?

4. Neil Hoskins
    Thumb Up

'natural fibres'

Ha! Wood. They just realised that wood is one of the best lightweight building materials on the planet.

5. Anonymous John

Want one!

Not sure about the roll bar though. What does that do to the forward vision?

6. Sam

Re Wood

Anyone remember a project called the Africar?

7. Sleepy
    Thumb Up

It's the Halo Buggy!

All it needs is a mounted machine gun on the back. And an improbably butch metal suited cliche to drive me around while I record the ensuing carnage on my mobile phone.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

@Neil Hoskins

> "Ha! Wood. They just realised that wood is one of the best lightweight building materials on the planet."

Wife: "You've been busy out in the garage, honey - polishing the car"

Husband: "No, sanding it back and giving it another coat of varnish - amazing what these new car technologies allow you to do, hey?"

There's a damn good reason why cars, trucks, planes, trains and ships aren't made of wood anymore ......

Actually, processed (and presumably laminated) cellulose is quite promising, though I have no idea if that's what they're going to use.

9. TeeCee Gold badge

Fiat channeling Lego Racers.

Lego should sue over this. It's obviously a ripoff.

It's not even as good as the original version. You can't take it apart when you're bored with it and build a Tyrannosaur out of the pieces.

10. Parax
    Boffin

Trabant...

Isn't Natural fibre panels an old idea???

11. andy gibson
    Coat

wooden cars

At last , an end to high price car resprays. Just nip down to B&Q for 5 litres of Dulux's finest.

Same with bodywork damage:

Wife: "I've dented the car by hitting a bollard" (cos men never do this)

Husband: "No problem, I'll just ring a joiner"

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

yes, yes you can still get cars made out of wood

"There's a damn good reason why cars, trucks, planes, trains and ships aren't made of wood anymore ......"

Morgan, for one, still makes cars out of wood. And I'm not just talking about its older models - the contemporary Aero 8 and AeroMax are both based around ash frames.

They flippin quick, don't weigh very much and are amazing cars. So stick that in your pipe...

13. Anonymous John

Wooden cars

Owner: "What's the damage?"

Mechanic: "It's bad news."

Owner: "What?"

Mechanic: "Dry Rot and Dutch Elm Disease."

14. Farmer Hackit
    Jobs Halo

Beaten by Sleepy

My 1st though was It's the Warthog from Halo.

My 2nd was, Where can I get one.

Steve, 'cos of the Halo.

15. Ian Johnston Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Skycar

Tesla have not-quite released as many cars as Moller has aeroplanes by now. Has anyone ever seen one of their cars in cation, or do they, too, dangle them from cranes for a bit?

16. Pete James

Who's got wood then?

Fnarrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Anyway, wood in cars? Morgan is nothing, try Marcos and their plywood monocoque from 40-odd years back. Now that was clever stuff, light, strong and robust.

As for the Tesla it didn't make me think of the uber-ugly Beemer but I'll be interested to see how it looks when the covers are pulled in due course. And nice to see FIAT make a fun sort of motor. Even if they chose a very silly place to site a roll-bar - about as much as wellies in molten lava - but it's still quite cutesy.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Saw this already

It was the 70's, it was a show by Sid & Marty Kroft, and it was called Wonderbug then.

I see they've repositioned the magic horn out of sight, however.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like