back to article Asus launches Atom-based notebook - not netbook

Asus has formally launched its N10... well, it's not a netbook despite being based on Intel's 1.6GHz Atom N270 processor, it's more a scaled down executive laptop. In addition to the Atom CPU, the N10 comes with 2GB of DDR 2 memory and full-scale GPU, an Nvidia GeForce 9300M GS with 256MB of dedicated video Ram. It also has a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Suburban Inmate
    Gates Horns

What's that I hear...?

"In addition to the Atom CPU, the N10 comes with 2GB of DDR 2 memory and full-scale GPU, an Nvidia GeForce 9300M GS with 256MB of dedicated video Ram. It also has a 160GB hard drive.

All these are essential, becuase this boy runs Windows Vista."

(El Reg readers in chorus:) "Heh. Not for long..."

2. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

slowwwww

my god,

how slow would this thing be running vista? i mean the atom is slower than a celeron!!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wi-fi device

It's not broadcom is it? anyone know?

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

another nearly but not quite...

Ok now take this spec back down to a 10inch screen for £300 and I'll buy it...

Geeze how hard can it be... $$$ to spend still in my pocket...

BTW if it could push bluray to the HDMI I'd pay closer to £500...

6. Norfolk Enchants Paris

Yawn

Yawn yawn yawn

7. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

power consumption...

so thats about 6W for the atom and about 50W for the geforce - could this be the first net/notebook with battery life MEASURED IN SECONDS??

8. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Rage Hard - Bend Sinister

Is the "rock solid - heart touching" slogan relatively new, or have I only just noticed it? It's a bit odd.

9. Jack Harrer
    Thumb Down

Re: Slowwww

Seconded. And with that Super Duper Power Engine, clocked at 800MHz? That will hardly run XP + AV + rest of the preinstalled crap. Think about Vista. Plus that will also need to switch off the Aero, so having graphics card like that is pointless.

That laptop's an awful stupid idea, IMHO!

10. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Thumb Down

It's also overweight

Just 190 grams away from my (OK expensive) VAIO SX series, but that has a processor that can seriously churn through medical 3D data sets, has a 13.3" screen, better resolution, etc. It can also switch off the power hungry Nvidia GPU, and let the integrated graphics chip handle the screen (you do have to reboot for that). I get 5.5 to 6 hours out of a charge if only writng stuff.

Even with the light weight of the VAIO, I am considering a SCC, but it must be 1.2 kg or less.

So, indeed what is the point?

11. Jesse Dorland
    Linux

bad marriage

It's like obese man marrying a woman with anorexia nervosa. Honey, u ain't eating that? ich okay i'll eat dat too, yumm yumm yumm.

Linux cause it's as skiny as you gonna get.

12. Tony Sweeney

Re: Rage Hard - Bend Sinister

@Ashley,

the "Rock solid - heart touching" tagline is on the boot splash screen of my original issue Eee 701. I seem to recall reading that the slogan was new when I pre-ordered my Eee in November/December last year.

Tony.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

can u run linux ...

hey - this vista consuming lots of config is becoming a nag. can u run a "real" desktop linux below the N10's config?! grow up, kids!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@can u run linux ...

"can u run a "real" desktop linux below the N10's config?!"

With no difficulty at all. In fact, the Eee Xandros build already has it, it just needs to be enabled with a very simple tweak, and is only not there by default to avoid scaring off the target market.

"grow up, kids!"

How foolish that makes you look, especially when you can run XP on these machines too - is that not a "real desktop" either?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like