back to article Dixons stores offer own-brand HSDPA mini-laptop

DSGi, the retailer formerly known as Dixons, has extended is netbook line-up with a new model the integrates HSDPA connectivity. The Advent 4213 is based on Intel's 1.6GHz Atom N270 processor, packs in 1GB of memory and a 160GB hard drive. It has a 10.2in widescreen display, presumably with a 1024 x 600 resolution, though DSGi …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

Aqua Desktop?

The photos show the machine sporting a Panther Aqua Blue desktop background. Is there something that you or they aren't telling us? :)

2. Patrick O'Reilly
    Coat

What OS?

I'm going to guess XP.... damm sheep.

3. Thomas

Looks nice

I especially like the "Panther Aqua Blue" wallpaper. Maybe it's designed to communicate that small, cheap computers are approximately as powerful as full-size computers of five years ago?

4. GrahamT

Title = £350?

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy an AA1 from PC World for £200 and plug a Vodaphone HSDPA dongle in it, for £15/month?

5. Alexis Vallance
    Thumb Down

1 gig a month

There was some small print on the advert saying you're limited to 1Gb a month, whereas Carphone Warehouse gives you 3.

It also proclaimed it comes with 'Genuine Windows XP Home' as if that was an advantage over the Linux their rival gives you.

6. Dave Bell

Small? Cheap? Laptop?

One out of three isn't bad, I suppose.

Incidentally, I'm a bit wary of depending on USB dongles. With a few remarkable exceptions, they always look to me to be far more vulnerable to physical damage.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Advent 4213 = rebadged ECS G10IL

This netbook is the rebadged version of the ECS G10IL. The obvious differences are the colour and the keyboard from the reference design... I think I prefer the keyboard from the reference design better tbh.

8. George Oommen

Mr

350? back in 1998 I flew to Boston, stayed at a 4-star hotel and lived like a king, bought a laptop, touchscreen pda, webcam, the biggest hard disc you could buy...the cost of everything together was still cheaper than buying in the UK! Next in 2003 I did the same thing, same cost ratio....

350 quid...$700 buys you a decent laptop in the states, even at the Dixons equivalent! I just bought a Gateway Dual core t5550 320GB/4GB with bluetooth, webcam and in RED!! For $700 from Bestbuy...try and get that in the UK...I could have got it even cheaper online....

9. Steve
    Thumb Down

@Oommen

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8780125&st=t5550+320gb&type=product&id=1204332500899

This is the only $700 T5550 available on the bestbuy website. At the current exchange rate (which hasn't been 2$=1£ for several months now), that's £400

This is the equivalent priced (added VAT as the best buy price is before sales tax) laptop from dabs, it's just as good.

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=576X&CategorySelectedId=11105&NavigationKey=11105,15,46400000,389210000,42880000,49350000

We could probably find both cheaper.

So, there's no way in hell that it's worth going to the states to buy a laptop, not even to buy 10 laptops, the £250 minimum return flight will outweigh the couple of quid you might manage to save, and that's before you look at a hotel to stay in and any transport to get around.

This topic is closed for new posts.