back to article C&W orders up base stations for Tesco

Ericsson has announced a sizeable contract with Cable & Wireless to provide kit for a world-spanning GSM network, but anyone hoping for competition in the mobe market had better get a job at the local supermarket. Ericsson isn't saying much about the deal except that it's big and will provide GSM connectivity in Europe, Asia …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sam

And of course

They will know where all their droids are at any time. Muahhahaha, etc.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

What can i say...

Every Little Helps!

Mine is the one with the blue and white stripped mobile in the pocket...

3. James

Employees?

I'd have thought their plans would extend further than that, particularly with the Tesco Mobile customers (who are normally on O2, since it's a joint venture with O2). I'd like to see nanocells, too: T-Mobile offer these in the US now (pay $10/month and get a base station in your house, with unlimited calls using your mobile at home), why can't we have that here?

For that matter, if C&W have this license now, why haven't they done anything (that we've heard of) yet?

4. Andy Barber
    Boffin

Win win for BT

All the back-bone of Wireless is BT. My recently installed Vodafone mast near me, is connected to a 2Mb ISDN 30 line! BT still wins!

5. NICHOLAS SAUNDERS

Mobile network?

With the hundreds of stores littered around the UK, you'd thought Tesco would have looked into setting up it's own mobile masts and buying a chunk of the spectrum. Now that would be interesting for the consumer...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nanocells?

I thought they were just wireless routers - you had to buy a phone with WiFi connectivity to use the 'use your cellphone at home' plans.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Nanaocells...

the cells in your house are FemtoCells and are just coming on to the market, they use your ADSL line as backhaul and use standard 2G/3G radio but adapt the transmission power so the footprint matches the size of your house.

8. Dean

Shame..

That theres no real pricing at the moment for these in-home-cells in the UK atm :(

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like