back to article DR Congo minister liberates imprisoned goats

The Democratic Republic of Congo's deputy justice minister Claude Nyamugabo has ordered police to release a dozen goats being held in a Kinshasa jail on a "being sold illegally by the roadside" rap. An "astonished" Nyamugabo discovered the caprine perps during a routine visit. According to the BBC, they were due to stand trial …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anyone know...

...if the Home Office has made 'being sold illegally' a crime in the UK yet?

If not, they really need get a law on the statute book ASAP to continue New Labour's highly successful new-crime-a-day legislationathon; whose previous hits include 'no illegal egg inspections', 'don't set off a nuclear explosion' and 'it's wrong to sell a grey squirrel don't you know?'. Those jails won't fill themselves up you know.

2. Pete Silver badge

illegally selling goats by the roadside?

haven't these people heard of eBay?

3. Simon Mirsh
    Paris Hilton

goats?

Paris needs no explanation in this case

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IT Angle?

If there was one it was well-hidden...

5. Marvin the Martian
    Thumb Down

Outrageous!

If you're being sold at the roadside against your will, I think government compensation is due. I also think they were worse off, because in African jails it's often a no-meals system, where you have to let your family members bribe the guards to bring you food... how much would they bother for the goats?

I wonder if this Congo ruling has implications for road-side fruit vendors all over the continent.

6. Ian S
    Joke

Bad joke alert!

Is this the original Nanny State?

7. Pete Silver badge

@Ian S

you're kidding, right?

8. Andy Hards
    Thumb Down

Sounds like

Yet another stupid law meant to tax poor people and fill the dibble's pockets.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Old Goat Liberation

Here in the states it was more a fad of the 1990s, and involved as I recall beating drums out in the woods.

10. Sceptical Bastard

@ Ian @ Pete

Jailed? That seems like gruff justice.

This topic is closed for new posts.