back to article Yahoo! reinvades! Iran!

Yahoo! has reinstated its free webmail services in Iran, less than a year after the firm blocked new registrations from the country citing tighter US sanctions. Iran has also reappeared in the registration country list of Microsoft's Hotmail service. Last November we reported how both had blocked new webmail and instant …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ian Ferguson
    Paris Hilton

Call me suspicious, but...

...how did five million Iranians delete their Yahoo! mail accounts without access to Yahoo!?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Ian Ferguson

"how did five million Iranians delete their Yahoo! mail accounts without access to Yahoo!?"

Probably through a proxy server.

A better questions is why they want it back, particularly after the supposed slight against them, and when the (superior) Google Mail never went away.

People are funny sometimes...

3. Chris Williams (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Call me suspicious, but...

The services were closed to *new* registrations from Iran, as the article states. Apologies if that wasn't clear enough. That doesn't mean the 5 million claim is true, of course, and we have no way of checking.

- Chris

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    Paris Hilton

Googlebomb.

Sorry, but I am struggling to think of a good reason (okay, any reason) why anyone should want to search for "Yahoo Mail" with, er, Google.

Paris, 'cos even she can type "yahoo.com" and click on the mail link without looking it up on Google first.

5. Steven Knox

@TeeCee

Your mistake is in the assumption that people need a reason. I know a lot of people who simple type whatever they're looking for into Google search, even if it's the domain name of the site.

<- Evil Google Icon.

6. Jim
    Thumb Up

Superior google?

Why, yahoo offers pop3 & smtp, both over ssl - can't be more superior than that can it?

7. Mike

yup

Yeah, supier in that Google give that for free, whereas yahoo charge for pop + imap access

8. Joe

Yahypocrites!

"Yahoo!'s core values center on helping people around the world communicate and engage in free expression."

Such as Shi Tao, for example?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/07/yahoo_china_dissident_case/

9. Jim

@Mike

"Yeah, supier in that Google give that for free, whereas yahoo charge for pop + imap access"

Huh? I've been using it for years and ain't paid a penny yet...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like