Moving back to States
I am moving back to the States at the end of this month (from South Africa), and will need to be getting setup with internet & cell phone again, and I am not looking forward to it:
1. Comcast, screwed me many times, can't even tell you where their trucks are, or whether it will take an hour or a week to get a problem fixed, uses unfair manegment practices, then lies about it, has shody billing and unfair trade practices. To their credit, they have no contracts, and are faster than the competition.
2. Qwest: crappy DSL, poor customer service, slow speeds, poor realiability, and are partnered with Yahoo! I beleive, breaking the sacred content provider / pipe provider gap which should be enshrined in legislation.
3. Ricochet Wireless: Cheap, fast, wireless, no contracts, and oh... out of business.
Hmm... Internet will be a touch choice, lets think about cell phones
1. Sprint - Piss poor customer service, ditched them because of a billing dispute, and will never go back. Uses proprietary CDMA garaunteed not to work in any country I will be traveling to regularly.
2. Verizon - Piss poor customer service, lockins, contracts, branded phones, uses proprietary CDMA
3. TMobile - Completely screwed me over WIFI hotspots, won't even respond to my emails disputing the contract I never signed.
4. Cingular/AT&T - At least they are GSM, but they also brought you the greatest lock in of all time, the iPhone, where you *buy* your own phone, and are *still* locked in. Not too mention that they are the beast. In the 1980's they made Microsoft of today look competitive.
Ok, I guess my cell phone choices aren't any better. Who ever knew that things were more free in South Africa. "Land of the free" my fucking arse.