back to article Palm, BlackBerry-beating demand for 3G iPhone claims researcher

More than half of US consumers looking to buy a smartphone in the next three months will opt for Apple's 3G iPhone. So says investment house RBC Capital Markets on the back of a survey of 3600 tame consumers on its Technology Adoption Panel conducted last month just after the second-gen iPhone was announced by Steve Jobs. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pavlovs well trained dog

um. Who paid for this research?

I like my apple products, and I will get a 3G iphone, but those numbers look mighty mighty suspicious to me.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

not a shock

really they have the best publicity at the time of the survey and highest brand awareness - i'll bet most people had only heard of the name apple so said - yeah that one.

When it actually comes to finding a phone that does what they want for a reasonable price I'll bet they will choose a different one if they actually THINK about it. Unfortunately people as a whole are sheep and the work of Satan (marketing) will lead them to what will most likely be a mistake.. like getting a palm these days.

3. Darren B

Consumers in marketing driven choice shocker!!!

Advertise the fuck out of it and the punters will come.

4. gautam
    Paris Hilton

Hype ?

Who paid for this research? I guess its part of the marketing hype before launch, for which APple is very good at!

Pairs, cos even she can suspect a link!

5. Mark Browell

Corporate IT

I would suggest there is a disconnect between what people "want", and what a corporate IT department will be prepared to deploy to its user community.

Apart from a small number of 'C' level execs - where anything goes, I cannot see a large scale iPhone deployment to a corporate in the UK anytime soon.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tortuous

"Palm, BlackBerry-beating demand for 3G iPhone claims researcher"

Researcher claims demand for 3G iPhone beating Palm, Blackberry.

Same words. Different order. Infinitely less ambiguous. Magnitudes more grammatically correct.

7. Giles Jones Gold badge

Apple did it right

Their strategy was thus:

Design a well functioning device, not too cutting edge and don't overload on features that may not work well. Focus on usability, battery life and looks.

Get a good deal with operators to minimise risk and get decent revenue.

Release the product, if it fails then it will be a minimal risk to the company. If it succeeds then create an even better model and release this in the conventional manner via the operators and their subsidies.

8. Matt Thornton

Agreed with Tortuous AC

Thank you. That is one of the most hideous titles to an article I've ever seen.

9. jai
    Jobs Halo

re: um. Who paid for this research?

i see how the numbers are _that_ bad

the article suggests that the research only asked which phone the punters would like to get

i'd like to get a 1968 GT500KR Shelby Mustang to drive, but that doesn't mean i can afford, nor am likely, to get one

nearly everyone i know _wants_ an iphone - but none of them have got one yet and all of them are still not keen on either the price or the network operator with the new one.

but if you ask them which phone out of a list they'd like to have, they'd answer the iPhone

10. Antidisestablishmentarianist

@re: um. ....

"nearly everyone i know _wants_ an iphone - but none of them have got one yet"

Frankly this is still a win win for Apple. How would competitors feel if their consumers bought their product whilst secretly thinking "Jeez, I wish I had an iPhone instead". Prick some egos that would (and puff those of Apple)

11. Ben Bufton
    Paris Hilton

Believe the hype?

A year ago, just before the iPhone was launched, the whole "it's an over-hyped piece of junk" rant (Anonymous Coward, Darren B, gautam) had the potential to be a valid concern.

But a year on the iPhone has one of the highest approval ratings of any consumer electronics product ever released... people desire it (hype), they buy it (hype), they use it (real) and more often than not they fall in love with the damn thing (real).

You guys may think you have the "exclusive" on what constitutes a fantastic product - but you don't, and the very high (even from my immediate experience) positive user feedback on the iPhone just makes you all sound like bitter jack-asses.

Perhaps you could quit your jobs and go work for Nokia or RIM so we have some genuine competition to the iPhone instead of sounding-off like pathetic "back seat" journos...

Paris so I can finish by talking about someone with a slightly higher IQ.

12. Mark Rendle
    Unhappy

Dilemma

I've got an iPod Touch (won it) and could get a free iPhone on upgrade, but it won't connect to Live Mesh, and the X1 will and it looks lovely too but Sony Ericsson won't release the damn thing.

13. heystoopid
    Pirate

Hmmm , sucked in again !

Hmmm sucked in again , nice propaganda though ! Since the current bulk of those seeking gen 2 Iphoney actually are the self same idiots that purchased the gen 1 dog , one could hardly say Apple has made any further inroads into the already tangled convoluted billion plus world wide annual sales of all varieties of these units !

As for the Wankers buying this product the only words that come to mind are " what a bunch silly suckers , as fools and their monies are easily parted" that be for sure !

Choices can be fatal to the health of one's rapidly thinning wallet if you are an idiot or a silly sucker !

14. Ascylto

@ Ben Bufton

Applau, applau.

It's time that was said.

Nonetheless, the jack-asses should have their few lines of fame. Without their El Reg input I suspect knife-crime figures would be even higher.

15. iannufc
    Stop

@ Ben Bufton

A 'fanboy' here, apparently...

Tell me how, pray tell, buying something you like makes you a Wanker?

By that intelligent train of thought if you bought the phone you wanted, you too are a Wanker. Oh, and a 'fanboy' as well.

I have never heard anything as ridiculous in my life. Don't assume that every iPhone owner was sucked in by marketing. Perhaps people bought one because they tried someone elses and liked it?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like