back to article Asus to revamp Eee PC 901 with bigger keyboard?

Asus' latest Eee PC, the 901, hasn't even gone on sale in the UK yet - tomorrow, since you ask - but the company is already preparing the machine's successors. Asian reseller moles cited by DigiTimes claim Asus is working on the Eee 904 and 905. Like the 901, both are expected to use Intel's Atom processor and sport an 8.9in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Gosnell

Bezel

I guess it will appeal to those who liked the "retro" look of the 701...

2. TeeCee Gold badge

Product lifecycle.

It seems the Eee has succumbed to the standard IT product lifecycle:

1) Produce something cheap, clever and well-positioned that everyone wants.

2) Add bloat (a.k.a. enhance the feature set) until it's fat, useless, overpriced and nobody wants it any more.

3) Repeat from 1 ad nauseum.

3. Geoff Mackenzie

Abandoning the eepsie's roots ...

... sounds like a bad idea to me. Not only are they getting bigger, more expensive, and Windows-contaminated, but they seem to have dropped the coastal serving suggestion.

Still, it all serves to push down the prices of the smaller ones.

4. richard
    Stop

Shoot and foot...

don't do it! remember where you came from asus...think cheap and small...the others already do big boy notebooks very well.....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So i herd u liek small PC's?

I'd say the bigger problem with the EEEpc product lifecycle is the fact that they don't seem to be able to go a month without telling everyone that a better one is coming out soon.

6. Chris
    Joke

Good idea!

Maybe next they could add a 14.1" screen, a 250GB hard drive and a Core2Duo processor!

They could charge £350 for it and call it a laptop!

7. alistair millington
    Thumb Down

I would have thought

The way forward would be to make the 901 like the 701 only with bigger HDD and better specs (chip, ram, bluetooth etc). instead of a bigger screen and bigger keyboard and moving parts inside (full HDD).

Keep it small cheap and simple, and newer models have better screen resolutions and more features. Instead of just dragging their customer base upto the normal size variants

8. Matthew Coulson

Clever.

So it's bigger, more expensive, and back to the silly "screen doesn't fit bezel look"?

Sod that.

9. Joe K
    Stop

Insanity

Asus have officially gone completely insane.

I can only assume that their fine engineering dept created the first Eee, then the retarded imbeciles in management and marketing sprang into action, and now are attempting to milk that poor cow for all its worth.

A crying shame, they'll be bankrupt in a year at this rate.

10. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Did no-one learn from the Libretto

Let's make a small cheap computer whose major selling point is that it is - um - small, and - er - cheap.

Now, how can we improve it?

I know - let's make it *bigger* and *more expensive*

Doh...

(Paris because she'd probably want something bigger and more expensive...)

11. Eric Van Haesendonck
    Thumb Down

Stupid idea.

Make a bigger machine just to be able to fit a bigger keyboard is not a good idea unless you want to appeal to users that mainly want to use it as a portable typewriter.

Now these users do exist (I personally know one), but they constitute a much smaller niche compared to the users that simply want the biggest screen in the smallest form factor possible (for a reasonable price).

Launching this as a side product to the 901 and targeting aspiring writers and secretaries may be an idea, but replacing the 901 by this would be suicide, as it wouldn't be able to compete with the acer one and the dell E in the consumer space.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nope

"A crying shame, they'll be bankrupt in a year at this rate."

No they won't - they make the hardware for Sony and Apple, among others.

13. Martin Silver badge
    Thumb Down

>Product lifecycle

Not just laptops. Anybody remember when the VW golf was a small/cheap hatchback?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Her expression...

Has anyone actually taken notice to her expression?

You can tell she is looking at the old EeePC... "urrgh, my eyes are burning" (from the poor resolution). That or she has the shits.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

701 still the king...

The 701 is still the king of the bunch for me.

I bought one last week for £200. I bought it because it was tiny, and because it was £200. The only thing I would change about it is the fact it could do with a slightly larger drive, say 10gb to not have to butcher xp, and the atom processor with bluetooth. Add those, and I'll have one. Until then, my EEE PC does what it says on the tin, and does it in the true spirit of the EEE PC.

Alien, because ASUS is on another planet on this one...

16. Anonymous Hero
    Paris Hilton

Ja, so...

..it's 1st of July, anyone know of any 'actual' stock of the 901 in the UK?

Paris, 'cos she'd have had it in already.

17. ricejapp
    Thumb Up

Seems it is nowhere to be seen

Quite funny these release cycles. I didn't buy a 701 or 900 'cause i knew i wanted a 901 instead. Now i need to get it before the 904/905 bloated version comes!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like