back to article E-food crisis abates as Sainsbury's online sparks into life

The UK’s net population narrowly escaped starvation today as Sainsbury’s finally got its e-commerce site up and running again. The UK’s favourite supermarket for people who can’t always afford Waitrose and are a bit sniffy about Tesco announced last night that its online ordering system would be back up and running from 6pm …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dave
    Boffin

eggs and baskets

Good Friday fun! From biiter personal experience, it was really scary having to prowl the aisles of my local Somerfield in person ;-)

Where Joe wrote: "some observers scratching their heads about what exactly had gone wrong", I though surely Sainsbury's know all about eggs and wouldn't put all of theirs in one basket. I certainly, from a business continuity perspective, would counsel separate data centres for 'warehousing' and 'customer records'.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Remarkable

They decided to bring IT back in-house from Accenture... look what happens! If they can't match the competence of the suited androids this is a sad position to be in. If the rest of the IT supporting the business is in this sort of state no wonder they are losing market share...

3. Gavin Pearce
    Happy

So glad ....

... that I'm not the developer who decided to drop the database instead of just merging it.

4. Ben
    Happy

Ere that last lot of data you delivered was all scrambled

"Some are even reported to have left their houses in search of sustenance, after perusing Ray Mears' tips on foraging for food in modern Britain."

oooooo meeaow,shirley shum mishtake.

That's a Roadkill Readymeal(tm) featuring pressed hedgehog cutlets with a drizzle of heavy oil jus and a bottle of Chateau Ringroad Trampwee to go, cheers!

5. Kate Menzies

Really sorry

Maybe they decided to sell furniture online then decided not to bother. Maybe they decided to drop table orders...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's the ecommerce site worth to them?

I would imagine at least 50 brick and mortar locations?

Perhaps, they should up their spend a little, even consider actually housing some of the systems at their stores. No point doing the web on cheap if you are that large.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Well at least the servers reposnd...

Now all we need is for them to charge correctly.

I put in my first Sainsburys' online order last week. It did turn up (prior to the server crash) - but a goodly number of the prices were wrong. They overcharged to the tune of nearly 10%.

Calling Sainsburys just got a response of "our computers are down"...

Whether or not they get a second go depends on how much they grovel when it comes to apologies...

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Martin Nicholls
    Gates Halo

Prices

"I put in my first Sainsburys' online order last week. It did turn up (prior to the server crash) - but a goodly number of the prices were wrong. They overcharged to the tune of nearly 10%."

Heh interesting, I walked around an old-school Sainsbury's the other day (usually order online, though I had no idea they were down) and noticed the price of just about everything had gone up - wonder if that's related.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like