back to article Asus throttles back Eee PC WiMax drive

Asus' Atom-based Eee PC 901 will come bundled with Bluetooth in addition to the new case design that emerged last week. But it won't have WiMax as standard. Taiwanese website DigiTimes claimed that moles had told it Asus is aiming the Eee-oriented WiMax module at contract customers - essentially, service providers who will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Wi-Max pah

Wi-max is supposed to take off next year every year isn't it. Well done Asus for not getting suckered into spending good money on a technology which I doubt will make it, especially with a protracted economic downturn, expect LTE to be the winner of this race.

2. storng.bare.durid
    Paris Hilton

zomg guys..

Where's the girl?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

@ storng.bare.durid

My thoughts exactly. Never mind any of this WiMax stuff, how do Asus think they going to sell these without the lure of a photochopped beach babe?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

B A T T E R Y ?

Forget the girl. Come on Tony, we're still waiting for you to "bite the hand that feeds IT" (TM) and get on to Asus about the UK being shafted with a crap battery on the 900. Why the reluctance to prod them?

5. KenBW2
    Stop

"WiMax isn't going to take off until next year"

So do Asus not expect them to last more than a year? I hope my eee 701 will...

++ for the girl :)

6. Amit Mishra
    Paris Hilton

Battery for Jesus Crispies.....

Agree with the above comment on the Asus 900 UK battery. Why isn't there a story which exposes Asus to the world on El Reg?.

Asus completely shafts JUST the UK market, while everywhere else that has the EEE PC 900 is supplied with higher capacity batteries, And from the way things are looking, countries that will be getting the EEE, will also be getting the normal battery.

Is this some kind of chinese grudge against the UK? What did we ever do to them?? Where the f- is the story on this?

Paris because...serveral people must be having blonde moments for this to go unchecked...

7. Dave
    Thumb Down

EeePC 900 BATTERY - UK RIP OFF!

I would also like to know what ASUS thought they were doing packaging their old Surf 4400 mAh batteries with the UK PC900's.

ASUS seem to be ignoring all emails asking why, but for some reason ASUS were quick to change the inferior battery for the proper 5800mAh battery in Hong Kong when there were complaints.

I think people should reconsider buying from a company like this that treats a segment of customers so badly.

What happened? The Reg doesn't even seem interested in the story, I wonder why?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

On the other hand...

It looks a bit big compared to an iPhone?

9. David Beck
    Unhappy

Why not HSDPA module?

If the WiMax support arrives as a separate module, why can't ASUS offer a separate HSDPA module so we can use an existing wireless network rather than one that doesn't exist?

10. Dave
    Alert

At least some of the IT press are following the story

It seems The Reg is still licking the hand of Asus, at least PCPro is still following the EeePC battery farce and have now got an admission from Asus about the deficient 4400mAh battery.

www.pcpro.co.uk/news/201579/

"An Asus spokesperson told PC Pro that the company is in dialogue with customers over the issue. "For the £10 deal you are speaking about, we're not sure which battery it is yet," the spokesperson said. "We will do an official announcement in due course."

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like