back to article Sony to bring GTA IV PS3 bundle to Blighty

Sony has jumped onto the Grand Theft Auto IV bandwagon and created a PlayStation 3 bundle pack that includes game and console, to ensure would-be gangsters opt for PS3-based drive-bys. Aside from a copy of the game, the package also includes a 40GB PS3 and one SixAxis wireless controller – minus the rumble. GTA_IV_PS3 Sony' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Eden

Hmmm

£400 on the PS3+GTA4....

Or £200 on the XBOX360+GTA4....(my local HMV are doing the XboxPro for £150)

HMMMMMMM...let me think about that one.

2. Andrew Bolton
    Paris Hilton

Prices

No doubt I'll be the 46th person to point this out, but EUR440 is more like £350/$700.

Cos £400 would be a serious rip-off, given the console is £300 on it's own. Even £350 seems fairly pricey.

Paris, cos she obviously did the sums :)

3. Marc Goldman
    Thumb Down

Wrong?

Surely the £400 is wrong? I saw £320 listed somewhere else for this.

Doesn't change the fact, as mentioned above that an Xbox 360 will play the same game for a lot less and the developers say they like the 360 version better as it will have downloadable episodes.

From Play a Premium 360 + GTA is £199.99 delivered:

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/5387997/Xbox-360-Premium-Console-+-Grand-Theft-Auto-IV/Product.html

Still a big difference in price, but of course your PS3 will play Blu-ray....

4. Brian Wright
    Pirate

Out there

I see you can download the 360 version from torrent sites already

5. Starfish
    Flame

Where is the hate?

Are my eyes deceiving me? Is this a Reg games console article without any snidey comments or typical fanboy hate from the author?

Oh, I see, it's for the PS3 rather than the Microsoft console, it all makes sense now..

6. Matt Hill
    Coat

Yes...but look how shiny the PS3 is!

Obviously ignoring all of it other faults...

7. Seán

Easy now

Clearly thinking isn't your thing so throw a few more parameters in there. XBox will overheat and shut down, plus take up half your room with that ridiculous tugboat of a transformer. Also the PS3 makes a pretty good linux box as opposed to the MS which at best is a restricted media streamer.

8. Matt

£280 at Play.com!

£280 at Play.com but remember you get more with the PS3 including a Blu-Ray drive & free online playing.

9. Colin Guthrie
    Thumb Down

What?

A PS3 console can be found sans games for about £270.... so you'd be paying £130 for the GTA4.... Anyone who buys this deserves to be dragged from their car and given a good kicking.

10. Andy Turner

I doubt it'll be £400

I doubt it'll be £400, unless there's more in the box than has been mentioned. It would be considerably cheaper to just buy the console and game seperately. A similar boxed bundle for Gran Turismo 5 is £290 on Amazon.

"£400 on the PS3+GTA4....Or £200 on the XBOX360+GTA4"

Heh, you could buy two 360's instead of the one PS3! Which is just as well, so you can continue playing when the first one goes RRoD...

11. Phil Huff

It's not £400...

...but a *slightly* more reasonable £349, although Play (and probably others) have it available to order at £300.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

re: Hmmm

£200 for a last generation console, with 2000-era DVD drive, and horrendous relability issues, that costs additional £40 a year to play online, costs extra money if you want Wifi, is fully equiped with the obsolete HD DVD drive.

£299 for a PS4/GTAIV bundle 40GB with Blu-ray, Wifi, GTA IV, and all the great PS3 exclusives already out, or coming this year.

HHHHHM, let me think about that one...

As usual, the Xbots have derailed the thread from the outset.

13. Marc Goldman

Play

Actually £299.99 at play.com which is a bit better.

http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/5440007/Sony-Playstation-3-PS3-Console-with-40GB-HDD-+-Grand-Theft-Auto-IV/Product.html

14. Alex
    Dead Vulture

Maximum Yawnage

*YAWN* @ Sony for bringing out another tie-in box set...

*YAWN* @ XBOX fanbois for the usual FUD and drivel...

Come on El Reg.. some decent stories if you please, and not another outlet more heckling and one-up-man-ship.

15. Andy Turner

@Marc

"...and the developers say they like the 360 version better as it will have downloadable episodes".

As I understand it, the PS3 will also have downloadable episodes, but fewer because some will be financed directly by Microsoft ($50 mil apparently!!), and therefore constrained to be exclusive to the 360. I suspect the 360's exclusive stuff will arrive first too.

Of course, you also can't rule out Sony agreeing a similar deal and there ending up being PS3-only episodes too. With a HDD guaranteed to be in *every* unit (unlike the 360), and a *free* online system, the PS3 platform suits download content much better since a much higher percentage of users will be set up for it.

16. Mark
    Gates Horns

@Marc Goldman

"developers say they like the 360 version better as it will have downloadable episodes."

Sorry, Rockstar themselves prefer the way the PS3 version turned out... Google for it..

PS. PS3 version with GTA IV is £299 at play.com, and likely £289/£279 at ShopTo. Not really that much different from a 360ELite, considering you get free online, included Wifi, included Blu-ray, included Media streaming, Upscaling DVD (considerably better than the 360's mediocre upscaler).

17. Ben Bufton
    Stop

Size matters...

I think the PS3 rocks - EDGE once said that the XBOX 360 feels like the perfect end to the previous generations of consoles... but that the Wii and PS3 feel like the beginning of the next... I agree.

But more worrying is that when these new games stick 5Gb files onto your internal hard drive every time, it makes Sony's decision to drop the 60Gb model in favour of a 40Gb even more inexplicable than before.

40Gb leaves enough room for 8 games!! I could fit more than 8 games on my old BBC Micro cassette tapes... ;)

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re Seán

Oh cmon. If the transformer does indeed take up half of your room, I'd suggest you move out of your little emo-tree house and harass your big bro to give you back your fair share of your bedroom.

19. jai
    Flame

re: hmmm

xBox360+GTA bundle : 200quid

cost of p&p to send back 360 when it overheats and RRoDs: 10quid

cost of p&p to send back 360 when it overheats and RRoDs again: 10quid

financial loss when power brick overheats and burns down your house: priceless

20. Mark
    Happy

who cares on price when u get what you pay for...

Agreed the price of the PS3 is still too high but anyone with any common sense knows this is down to the blu-ray drive. I bet if Sony did a PS3 with a normal DVD drive in it they could easily compete with pricing of the X-Box360 if not beat the pricing. Then of course you would also have a console with a web browser and free online gaming. Quit with pricing digs they are not comparable. If your a pure gamer go for the 360 if you want HD films, internet, music and games go for the PS3.

21. Andy Turner

@Ben

"But more worrying is that when these new games stick 5Gb files onto your internal hard drive every time, it makes Sony's decision to drop the 60Gb model in favour of a 40Gb even more inexplicable than before"

The PS3 is designed such that the HDD is easily upgradable. The menus include options to backup and restore the entire thing to a USB drive and the HDD itself is behind a little plastic panel on the side and requires a single screw to remove it. My '40gb' PS3 has a 250gb hard drive in it. It really was trivial to do.

22. Matt Kemp

@Ben Bufton

Unless you really want severely broken backwards compatability, you go for the low end one and then just stick a new hard drive in it:

http://www.slashgear.com/ps3-hard-drive-upgrade-132464.php

As for the console whining, it's not exactly new or clever - it was all much simpler back in the days when people argued over Mario and Sonic instead of polygon output or system architecture. I guess nowadays you don't get knifed because your console has a smaller hard drive or something.

23. Ben Parkinson
    Alien

I remember...

when console wars were about the games!

We’d put the same game on different consoles and compare the graphics, and which one had more blood!

Not piss and moan about HD movie playback, Wi-Fi, and running Linux... seriously WTF is it with fan boys today!

24. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Buy PS3, get free GTA IV.

Sony are missing a trick here.

Before this pack release, PS3 was £299.

Not it seems the PS3 GTA IV pack is now £299.

http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/5440007/Sony-Playstation-3-PS3-Console-with-40GB-HDD-+-Grand-Theft-Auto-IV/Product.html

In my eyes, that's a PS3 price cut, or a free copy of GTA IV...

25. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@PS£ Fanbois...

I'm not a fanboy by any means...the 360 has more than it's fair share of problems...but I haven't had any! However, how about it's good points...

An online system that doesn't grind to a halt every time an update comes out...which seems to be every week...

Rumble...

Games which integrate online in a standard fashion rather than having to struggle which each gam'es foibles...

Being able to access the console cummincation (messages/voice call) whilst in game...

Not being asked to pay £20 for a demo of a game which has been in development for 3 years...*cough* GT5 *cough*

Go on...please tell me how great the BlueRay drive is please...

26. Neil
    Pirate

No brainer

Let me see... if i had £300 in my sweaty hands and the option of spending £300 on a PS3 or £200 on a 360 which would i go for.... hmmmm, bit of a no brainer. Id go for the console that will more likely survive an extended gaming session, won't cook me in my lounge and won't annoy the neighbours with it's deafening cooling system. ok, i may spend another £35 on an imported DuelShock controller and maybe £65 on a nice 250gb drive but so what, I'm set for the next few years, wonderful.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

@ Anonymous Coward

If you had actually played GT5 Prologue, you would realise it's not a demo, and as far from a demo as you can possibly get. For the last 2 weeks, it's been getting 100% of my gaming time, and it's given me more playability that most full price titles (Orange Box excluded).

By stating that it's a demo, you are showing that you truely are a Fanboy, and just passing on all the PS3 turd-talk you read on the Xnox forums..

As for Xbox plussides, I don't see too many. Halo3 has come and gone, and hardly left a dent (Multiplatform COD4 made a massive impact in it's place), Ruble is already out, I have had my PS3 Dualshock3 for about 5 months now, and it's very fine. The only system does not grind to a halt at all, infact the 360's paid-for P2P network is far more troublesome. The only time I recall PSN downtime, was a couple of weeks back, when the overhauld the store with the new firmware.

About the only thing I will give you, is the ingame comms, messaging (you can only currently do it from outside games). But I believe that's coming to PS3 too, and will be here in Firmware 2.4, sometime this summer.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Does Sean live in a bedsit?

Because in my house the XBox brick is merely another transformer round the back of the big old telly

29. Neil

@ Matt Kemp

"Unless you really want severely broken backwards compatability"

Are you sure it's severely broken? I'm very impressed with the BC in my UK PS3. Of the 30 or so games I've still got, 21 work perfectly, 5 work with some slight glitching ( nothing major) and 4 don't work at all, I'm really happy with that and even happier that SOTC looks brilliant on my HD Tv with the games Progressive scan option enabled.

I suppose you think the Orange Box on PS3 was also Serverly Broken and not just ever so slightly dented !

30. This post has been deleted by its author

31. Dangerous Dave
    Coat

i don't remember.....

reliability problems with SNES and Mega Drive

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm just looking forward

to playing the damn thing when it's released.

and a quote from one of the staffers at IGN

"I myself - who is a big fan of the Xbox 360 - will be getting the PlayStation 3 version, as I've read and heard personally from people who have played the game already that this version is undoubtedly superior to the Xbox 360."

'nuff said

33. Brian
    Dead Vulture

ps3 sale riding back of game sale?

They say this as though it were a new concept. How quickly we forget the Halo3 xbox360 bundles...

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ RROD whiners

Go away, that's so 2006, if the only fault you can find with the 360 is one that's not been an issue for nearly 2 years now I think that's evidence enough that the 360 is the better console.

360 is now more stable, quieter, smaller and cooler than the PS3, has been for 18months+

Cry more PS3 fanboys for selecting the lame horse this time round, meanwhile those of us sensible enough to buy the games console that actually, you know, has games will continue having fun with them and our additional GTA4 content whilst you sit there waiting for the LittleBigPlanet/Home that never was vaporware.

35. Marco Alfarrobinha
    Coat

@ jai

Clearly you are a PS3 fan boy and or you are an idiot. I have a 360 and it has RRoD'ed on me, bloody incovenience, but it was free deliveries all around from UPS to and from Havant, and it came back without me paying a cent, with an extra Live month thrown in (4 quid) and a nice sorry letter. I agree that having it away for about two weeks is not good and unacceptable, but when I bought my Xbox I was aware of its problems but all I wanted was a good games' machine with reasonably good games to go with, not a do-it-all thing that will play blu-ray or access the internet (there are PC's, remember?) and Blu-ray discs are just too expensive (I'm still building a DVD library, no way I'm going to change to another format now).

PS3? Never for me, s***e controller, worst games. Wii? For the kids. Xbox 360? All night sessions. Thanks.

Mine's the one with the GTA IV copy in it.

36. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

@AC

"Go away, that's so 2006, if the only fault you can find with the 360 is one that's not been an issue for nearly 2 years now I think that's evidence enough that the 360 is the better console."

Wasn't there a recent Game Developers Conference where one of the nice shiny new xbox360s on display for demoing was suffering from RROD. Obviously it was 2 years ago, sorry my mistake it was February this year.... before you start producing BS, please get your facts right.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2008/02/red_ring_of_death_returns.html

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/02/28/sqaure_trade_xbox_360_more/

37. Mark
    Gates Horns

re: RROD whiners @ Matthew Pringle

You realise of course, your comments are nothing more than Microsoft mouthpiece.

Microsoft want you to believe that they have fixed the problems, unfortunatly, they have not. Even the latest 360s fail, not as much granted, but the failure rates are still above 20%

Only when the 65nm Xeonon arrives, will the RROD disappear for good. (RROD is caused by overheating on the inadequetly cooled and ventilated GPU). Currently all Microsoft have done, is managed to stem the failures to a degree by bodging bigger heatsinks on there. The real cause is the excessive heat and inadequent ventillation.

@ Matthew Pringle

"I have been playing next gen titles on the 360 for 2 years+ now."

No you have been playing games at the end of the last generation. Xbox360 is full of last generation tech. 90nm chips, DVD drive and so forth.

As for your Metal Gear4 comments, that's laughable spin. What the Japanese creator was saying, was his dreams were not realised, not that they could not be realised on PS3. Previously he had also said that there was no way that 360 could even attempt to handle what MGS4 was doing on PS3. It's a full 50GB BD for starters, let alone the complex AI and graphics.

38. Jimster71

@"RROD whiners" whiner

I've had 3 friends' consoles die of RROD in the past few months. One of those was a relatively new machine.

Saying that, I'm very happy with my 360 (crosses fingers and touches wood) and haven't seen anything to make me want a PS3 instead. 90% of multiple format games are better on the 360.

I'd also heard about PS3 version supposedly being better than 360 version, but I also heard that was an early preview build of the game. We'll find out more next week.

You don't need to pay anything for the Xbox Live service if you just want to download the extra episodes.

39. Guy
    Thumb Down

It must be the price

Why more people are currently buying a PS3 than an Xbox 360, reassuringly expensive anyone? maybe just better. Just in terms of games, how much longer has the Xbox 360 been out? Hmm quite a while to create more games for it than the PS3....and that's before I get on about account hijacking on the Xbox

40. Iain

@AC

Surely "as far from a demo as you can possibly get" would be a game with something even approaching the size of the previous one? GT5 Prologue is not the full GT5 game. That's why it says "Prologue" in the title. Not that this is an incredibly bad thing; a great many people got bored of GTs 3 and 4 before even playing as much gameplay as exists in the Prologue anyway. A great many people get bored of most games before completing them; just look at gamerscore averages on the sites that track them.

If the 360 version of GTA4 was in any significant way inferior to the PS3 version, Rockstar PR would not be using that one to show it off to journalists. That Keef at Guardian Gamesblog didn't even get a sniff of the PS3 release yesterday (see his impressions over there) certainly indicates that they are confident that the 360 shows off the game well. Therefore it's not really worth spending extra to get a PS3 and the game unless the machine appeals for other reasons, and only a potential purchaser can know that.

41. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Take you Sony branded specs off for a second please...

I really can't get over the PS3 owners who defend their machine to the hilt regardless of its failings.

Yes, the PS3 is a good looking machine.

Yes, it may be more powerful than the 360 (when they learn how to code for it)

Yes, it has a BlueRay drive.

Yws, it has some games coming out now (on the 360 too mind)

If I cared more about BlueRay or how good my machine might be if buy a new HDD!?!?!??! Then I might get one...

On the other hand I have been playing high quality games for 2+ years, with a slick online interface (albeit £40p/a)...whilst my mates are still talking about when they will get rumble or when GT5 comes out.

As for the internet browser and online...sometimes it is too slow to be used...that is FACT! Staright from the mouths of several PS3 owners I know.

To bring up hardware faults which have been resolved for yonks is just petty and ill-informed...well just plain desperate.

Face it...the PS3 is a good premium entertainment centre...the 360 is a good console designed for online play...and both of them will lose out to the little grey Colico Vision wannaby made by Nintendo.

Paris...because she'd rather play with anything other than a console.

42. Ben Bufton
    Happy

Hard drive upgrade

Hey - thanks for the heads up those of you who replied to my comment about the hard drive size... really appreciate it. :)

My point stands though - I'm game to take a screwdriver to my PS3, but I'm not fancying my 7 yo nephews chances! It amazes me that Sony would expect you to mod your console just to play a few games.

Thanks again for the comments and links though...

43. Steve

Re: "I've been playing next-gen for 2+"

As far as I can tell, that appears to have absolutely fuck-all to do with anything. The fact that it came out first has no relavence on which is the better value now.

Guess what - PS2 came out even early so that obviously beats both the 360 and PS3.

Besides who is going to listen to a 360-owner's opinion of a PS3 or vice-versa?

44. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

@Mark

Oh look, more fanboyism from Mark, calling the 360 "last-gen" is childish. So what if Blu-Ray stores more data? The 360's DVD drive transfers data twice as fast. What about the fact that Sony still don't have in-game XMB or custom soundtracks? Or how about all the PS3 owners having to buy a new joypad because the "next-gen" PS3 doesn't have "last-gen" rumble? The PS3 is hardly a flawless next-gen experience is it?

And let's not forget which system has the better catalogue of games. The 360 is a lot more than just Halo 3, take a look at the various review aggregation sites out there to see how many good games the 360 has in comparison to the PS3.

And finally, why is it always PS3 owners who seem to know the exact number of 360s that are RRoD'ing at the moment? My launch 360 which is used for at least several hours a day is still running perfectly as are the 360s of everyone I know.

45. David

No HDD

The cheapest £150 x-box 360 has no hard drive. Out of interest how can there be down-loadable content for these particular machines? Am i missing something. Do the cheap 360s not come with 256MB SD cards. Shurley this would get filled very fast with gave saves and the like?

46. PIB
    Happy

Planet GTA says:

Quote:

"Interesting indeed, I myself - who is a big fan of the Xbox 360 - will be getting the PlayStation 3 version, as I've read and heard personally from people who have played the game already that this version is undoubtedly superior to the Xbox 360."

(http://www.n4g.com/News-138806.aspx)

No doubt we'll start to get more feedback after Tuesday.

47. Sam

@ the xbots.

"Games which integrate online in a standard fashion rather than having to struggle which each gam'es foibles..."

Thats odd considering lets take burnout paradise, its actually better integrated on the ps3 than it is on the 360, on top of that a few devs have come out and said they prefer the PSN over live because its less restrictive to them. On top of that the 360 uses alot of p2p whilst PSN uses dedicated servers (as well as p2p).

"Rumble...."

Yes please give me the feature that makes hitting a wall at 120mph feel the same feeling as shooting my bazooka. Retarded feature to begin with. A not missed battery eater.

"Being able to access the console cummincation (messages/voice call) whilst in game..."

I agree, but sony is bringing it in I believe during the summer sometime.

"Not being asked to pay £20 for a demo of a game which has been in development for 3 years...*cough* GT5 *cough*"

Yep, every PS3 owner has a gun put to thier head then gets told that if you don't buy GT5 you get shot. On top of that its %102 confirmed that the head of the sony gaming division called the makers of GT5 and threatened to steal thier children if they didn't release thier $40 demo.

"Its never overheated, failed, ring o lights etc... "

Thats good for you, two of my buddies have both broken the 4th 360 replacement mark (one upto his 7th machine).

"our additional GTA4 content "

Well for now, Ill give you that one. However, I think it was OPM or maybe OXM, one of the Rockstar employees let slip that DLC in some form is also coming to the PS3 albiet at a later date. I think there will be Home integration too.

"Never for me, s***e controller,"

Thats EXACTLY what I think of the 360 controller.

"Why more people are currently buying a PS3 than an Xbox 360,"

Depends where you live :) But this is a .co.uk site so ok ;)

"I really can't get over the PS3 owners who defend their machine to the hilt regardless of its failings."

When its attack, attack, attack, what else can we do...

"As for the internet browser and online..."

Tell your friend to get a better internet connection, works perfectly for me. I don't use the browser tho, thats why I own a PC.

"To bring up hardware faults which have been resolved for yonks is just petty and ill-informed...well just plain desperate."

Well, all i know about that is that I have buddies who's machines are STILL breaking so maybe ms is pushing out the older units when they replace.

"Wii? For the kids"

BAH!

"If the 360 version of GTA4 was in any significant way inferior to the PS3 version, Rockstar PR would not be using that one to show it off to journalists. "

Yeah everyone says they're pretty much the same, the 360 is supposed to be a bit more vibrant and the PS3 has less aliasing thats about it. I still don't know if the 360 gets an optional install tho, anyone have any idea about that? be interesting to see how it affects load times.

"If Microsoft could handle other parts of the business like the 360 they would be on a winner."

Hold on, replace your 360 3 times a year, reinstall Windows 3+ times a year. Seems like they've got the business nailed to me.

Yes I own a PS3, in fact this generation was the hardest choice for me to make in terms of a console (i already own a wii). The games are pretty much the same, 360's exclusives don't excite me at all and I prefer the sixaxis shape and THAT is pretty much why I got a ps3 (factor in RROD a little). I knew full well about DLC for GTA4 but would prefer to experience it with a gamepad i've known for what seems like forever.

Anywhoos, lets just make the damn game outsell Halo!!!!!!!!!!!

48. me
    Stop

'tard PS3

Why are Sony still releasing the 40Gb CECHG01 aka the 'tard PS3?

I won't buy one until the full-functionality of CECHC01 aka 60Gb PS3 is restored.

49. Mark
    Gates Horns

@AC

"The 360's DVD drive transfers data twice as fast."

Want to back that up with real evidence? I can show that the PS3's Blu-ray drive is actually faster than the 360's DVD.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=42157

The numbers and sources here are irrefutable fact.

As usual, the Xbots have nothing but FUD left in their ammunition..

50. si

360 > ps3

xbox premium = £200

xbox live gold = £40

wireless adaptor = £60

controller charger = £15

Total = £315

PS3 = £300 with twice the disk space and blu ray support

I've got an xbox 360 and I really like it but it does work out more expense than the ps3, AND it's noisy DVD drive is starting to drive me insane

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like