back to article Chinese drivers get rear-view satnav

Rear-view mirrors are usually pretty basic reflectors. However, one manufacturer's created a hi-tech version that’s incorporates satnav technology. Rear_view_mirror The DS-400GB: satnav, speaker and mirror in one The touchscreen DS-400GB boasts an integrated GPS antenna and SiRFStar III GPS chip. Information about your …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. stuart Thompson

Hmmm

Nice idea, however it looks as if the display pop's off ala car radio front panels, surely your going to have to re-adjust the mirror every time you get in the car, most annoying

2. bluesxman
    Thumb Down

great idea

take something simple and effective and make it inherently less reliable by adding technology ... how does that camera cope in the dark and with head-light dazzlers?

3. David Gosnell

Re: Hmmm

Perhaps not as big a deal as it seems. The primary reason you ever have to adjust a rear-view mirror is not because you can't see it properly, but because what it is reflecting is incorrect. If the image displayed is produced by a fixed camera rather than reflection, that's not going to be such a problem. Only the visibility angle of the LCD would matter, and that's not going to be too critical with current technology, I wouldn't have imagined.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Chinese GPS

China does not have the country mapped for gps, so its not really designed for them but the gadget freeks, and I would rather be watching Paris H than my back end.

5. Rich Boakes
    Go

My Rear Window's Vista

Canvas-roofed cars with plastic rear windows are notorious for having poor rear visibility when the roof is up. This could be a very nice solution to the poor visibility, and would keep the car free of SatNav clutter... so if they're looking for a reviewer...

6. Dick Emery
    Thumb Down

Sunny days?

I can't see this being useful in softops with their roof down. Unless you can see it clearly in harsh light it's useless (and dangerous).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like