back to article Nyko beats Sony to PS3 rumble controller release

The impending Western release of Sony’s DualShock 3 controller has been overshadowed by accessory maker Nyko, which has unveiled a shockingly similar looking rumble controller for the PS3 just weeks before Sony’s official offering goes on sale in the US. Sony has already confirmed that the long-awaited DualShock 3 will be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark
    Gates Horns

but it's shite..

requires a dongle in the PS3's USB port

has no PS button, so you can't turn the console on/off

Why not just import (for the same price), or wait 4 weeks for the official (and better) official controller?

2. Joe K

Pfffft

On Sunday i ordered a Dualshock 3 off Ebay for a mere £30, which is probably less than it'll cost when it ships over here, it arrived today. Same price off www.playasia.com too. Why wait?

Anyone still interested in this monstrosity, note that it doesn't use Bluetooth and you can't turn the PS3 on with it (my favourite couch-potato feature of the official controllers)

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/03/11/hands-on-with-nykos-zero-controller/

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Beats?

I've had my DualShock 3 since before Christmas. Importing really isn't that hard, just go to yesasia or similar. It was cheaper than a standard SIXAXIS is in the UK.

Plus it looks one hell of a lot better than this monstrosity...

4. Matt

not the only ones

logitech and a bunch of other 3rd party types make rumbly wireless controllers for the PS3 but all these non-sony sticks require a crappy usb dongle, the Official Sony controllers are the only Bluetooth jobbers...

5. Highlander

Lazy crap from Nyko

Oh goodie yet another IR dongle to lose. Did these people even realize that the 40GB model only has two USB ports?

Seriously, how hard can it be to do Bluetooth in a game controller? Every frickin' cheap ass bluetooth headset works just fine. What's so hard about a bluetooth enabled controller? Logitech? What you can't do it? Are you serious? Nyko? ditto. Sheer laziness.

6. jai

junk

The author of the article claims that this Nyko is "shockingly similar looking"

Only if the shock is that it looks nothing like the Dualshock design. this Nyko is far uglier.

combined with the lack of PS button and the use of a usb dongle make this utterly pointless.

However, I assume the author of the article isn't a serious console gamer - the "backlit LED buttons, which should be useful during late-night gaming sessions" will, in fact, be of no use late at night - if you don't know where the buttons are on the controller by that time of night, you should give up and go to sleep.

(and also, as we all know, if you're gaming that late, you should at least have one other source of ambient lighting on as well as the tv otherwise you'll send yourself blind and everyone will assume you were playing with yourself in a totally different way)

7. Daniel B.
    Thumb Down

Isn't it...

Hey, doesn't that controller look strangely familiar?

It kinda looks like the god-awful XBOX controller, the big-ass version. I think I pass, I'll wait for the official one.

8. Red Bren
    Paris Hilton

Am I missing the point?

I've never really seen the point of vibrating controllers - they just make the game harder to play. It might bestow you with an unfair advantage if you're playing against your mates and you palm the shaky controllers on to them but why handicap yourself? Especially if you're playing online against some cocky 12 year old. It will end in mooned arses, I tell you!

Mooned arse and a vibrating toy? It has to be PH!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

@but it's shite..

Mmm... USB based. Sounds like it's better suited for PCs.

I've been looking all over for a good wireless gamepad to go with the media center PC. Looks like this may be it.

> It kinda looks like the god-awful XBOX controller, the big-ass version.

Big-ass is good, at least for me. The pain and cramps that I get from using the smallish gamepads of the DS Lite takes the fun out of everything (I still love my DS Lite tho). Yes, my hands are that big.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like