So make it palatable
Form a great new initiative.
Today we will
1. Restore judicial process in all privacy matters. Due cause required, and judicial review of cause needed before warrant issued to capture communications. No more searches without warrants, which is what surveillance really is. Regain trust in privacy matters.
2. Protect your privacy rights with the force of law. DVLA selling data to parking scammers? No, that would be a criminal matter. An arrestable offence!
3. Reduce the ID card to the minimum required to do IDs. Why do you want to disclose the ID to private business, or individuals, how can you make sure it's only used for the purpose it's needed and absolutely nothing else.
4. Tightly control the insane growth of CCTVs. Where they can be put, who can monitor them, what the footage can be used for.
5. Break the cosy link between police and television. If privacy is a fundamental right, why do the police take TV crews with them when executing a search warrant? They refuse to enforce the suspects right to privacy.
6. If you can't make the ID card palatable to the vast majority of UK citizens, then you can't force it on them by stealth. It would be attacking your electorate and that is not something you can ever do. Tony Blair twatitude is at an end.