back to article Nokia spends €105m on mobile Linux developer

Finnish handset giant Nokia is buying mobile Linux developer Trolltech, in an all-cash deal valuing the company at about €105m. Nokia is offering 16 Norwegian Kroner per share - about £1.47 - for the company. Trolltech shares were are up 56 per cent today at 15.6 Norwegian Kroner. Over 66 per cent of shareholders have already …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. cor
    Happy

Good for Trolltech.

They deserve recognition for their contribution. A pity that I didn't know this morning, I would have bought me some of those shares...

2. Paul
    Alien

QT used quite a lot.

this has set the maemo (internet tablet) forums buzzing - Ari has said relatively little on his blog, so people don't know whether there will be a new UI for the tablets in the future based on QT (or some mobile version of KDE).

QT appears in a lot of places - not just obvious linux devices such as the Sharp Zaurus, but also in Archos media players, and some Motorola phones (so Motorola will be upset!).

3. heystoopid
    Paris Hilton

So

Reading between the lines Nokia is about to hit the market with a quad band god phone Iphoney killer in double quick time !

What price a choice ?

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Patrick O'Reilly
    Linux

Would someone please think of the K.D.E.!

Lets just hope they are as strong supporters of the K.D.E. community as Trolltech was.

6. Mark

Re:Would someone please think of the K.D.E.!

Well, trolltech already have a poison pill in that if the GPL'd code is removed, the code becomes BSD'd, which would allow it to be GPL'd again. A die-off to BSD is probably the best idea for a software poison pill, better than GPL even, since the BSD code can be closed up or put into any open license you want, whereas GPL can only be put to GPL-compatible licenses (though one driver for GPL3 was to make it compatible with more licenses than GPL2 is).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like