back to article YouTube biker clocked at 189mph

Gloucestershire Police are investigating a YouTube video which appears to show a Kawasaki ZX10R clocking up an impressive 189mph: According to the Sun, the "speed freak forces other drivers to change lanes as he heads in the direction of the A417 Swindon to Gloucester road", while his machine is "also seen weaving …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous John

Does Youtube log the IP number of uploaders?

I'd be surprised if they didn't.

2. kferr

the 189 is bogus

That's just an artifact of the speedo and the frame rate. During the change from 139 to 140 the change from 3 to 4 looks like an 8, and the 9 persists.

3. Chris Collins

Devil's advocate

Clear day, dry conditions, vehicle capable of the speed, driver doesn't actually do anything reckless other than exceed the limit. He only opens it up when it's clear and responds to traffic conditions well ahead. I didn't see him bully or harass anyone, apart from weaving through traffic at 50 at the end.

Of course, it's never acceptable to exceed the speed limit. All the Germans on the autobahn are dead and maimed in the gutter, having spontaneously combusted at 84mph.

4. Andy
    Thumb Up

Looks ok to me.

He seemed in control. Nice sunny day. Not as wreckless

as some police and granny drivers I've seen. Wreckless

is not knowing what to do at a junction, wreckless is not

looking where you are going, wreckless is indicision, etc

etc.

I'd rather have a speeder next to me on the road who

knows what to do than a woman, any day of the week.

Truth is, you know exactly what a speeder wants to do,

and it's to be that dot on the horizon. Predictable and safe.

A woman, sheesh, she'll be thinking about shoes or something

and swerve to hit you.

5. Richard
    Pirate

Title

I can't help but wonder that his clutch is slipping once he goes past 140, as the acceleration on the speedo doesn't seem to match the rate at which the scenery is passing by. At least this one is in mph, unlike the Woodhead Pass video, which was in kph. That video was shown on some ITV programme recently, and the token traffic plod and that Edmund King bloke were both fooled by it, thinking it was a mph readout on the speedo.

Skull and crossbones for obvious reasons. Had it been the Nurburgring, then fair dos.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

189mph ?

He wasn't doing 189 at any point. The speedo was showing that briefly when the wheel was spinning but the top speed shown after it stopped was somewhere between 160 and 170. So, with a standard uncalibrated speedo, probably around 150-155mph. Nothing really :)

7. Iain

Since it's a Kawasaki...

...is this another instance of someone importing a bike, not bothering to switch it to mph mode, and then getting really excited as they do the slightly less impressive (but still obviously dangerous and illegal) 117mph?

8. adnim

fun?

".... this is a fun thing to do, which is not the case."

Of course it's fun.

Wreckless endangerment of other peoples lives - YES.

Absolutely stupid - YES.

Should rider be banned? - YES

But to say riding a motorbike at 189mph is not fun is pure bullshit.

9. Olaf

something funny?

It drops 20mph when he changes gear. Is he spinning the back wheel up to 189 without actually going that fast?

10. Alastair Dodd
    Stop

at the idiot kerr (and Andy)

"That's just an artifact of the speedo and the frame rate. During the change from 139 to 140 the change from 3 to 4 looks like an 8, and the 9 persists."

and who gives a fig - the guy is still an complete idiot, dangerous to himself and others at that speed. I don't mind a little over the limit, thats okay but 190(140) is just MORONIC

11. Olaf
    Boffin

Bah

Says it on the YouTube site.

"zx10r wheel spinning at 180mph roads had hardly any grip"

He's speeding but not 189mph.

12. Steve Ives
    Paris Hilton

Nothing dangerous here...

As a former biker myself, he appeared to be well aware of the traffic situations well inadvance and in control of his machine.

The anti-speed brigade in this country need to start clamping down on dangerous driving, rather than touting speeding as the sole evil. After all, what's more dangerous - doing 80 on a motorway in a modern car in clear weather or doing 29 past a school at chucking-out time in rain & snow? Oh, silly me - must be the speeding.

Steve Ives

13. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Devil's advocate's devil's advocate

Re : "it's never acceptable to exceed the speed limit"

I think the phrase you're after is

"it's never lawful to exceed the speed limit"

which is why you shouldn't whinge when you get prosecuted for it.

14. Steven Jones
    Stop

Wreckless and reckless

If Andy has the same lack of care and concern towards other road users as he exhibits in his grammar, and the content appears to indicate that this is so, then I hope he isn't driving or riding around this part of the world.

The video is wreckless because he didn't crash and leave a wreck. But reckless it most certainly is.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Andy

Wreckless is spelled R E C K L E S S reckless.

It wasn't me!

Nick - Swindon Kawasaki owner

16. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@Andy

Can I have your licence plate, so next time I'm thinking about shoes & makeup I know which boy-racer to run over in my Range Rover ;)

17. John Stag

Something bogus...

Shenanigans.

Bikes are fast, but not "100mph to 189mph in two seconds" fast.

18. Paul A. Walker
    Stop

what a fool

Read about this stuff in MCN - the police are tracking them down, and possibly taking their bikes off them. Now I'm not in favour of our ridiculously tight speeding laws, but the fact is that idiots like this give the rest of us motorcyclists a bad name and just give more ammunition to the groups campaigning to restrict what vehicles can do.

19. DS

That bike will not do 189MPH

This is the problem with people throwing out their opinion. There is no proof from the speedo, that can be tweaked. The bike itself, if the model is right won't even get close to the speed those claiming to complain about it wish to claim.

There is no law on this (well there is, but its stupid) as if you wish to nail someone speeding, it should be by properly tested and calibrated equipment.

That aside, I grew up on the IOM, I find the speeding culture (or rather the attacks on it) to be stupid. The government lies about speed, its primary action is to skim drivers for additional money. Most of its actions in terms of traffic calming or control make things worse. We lose 5,000 people a year, and there are 60 million every year taking trips care of the road. More people are being badly treated in the healthcare system than by drivers, but drivers face punitive stupidity every day.

Now, all that being said, if you want to ride a bike, and take it way above the admittedly stupid speeding limits, go and do some track days where the environment is clearly better for Hi speed antics.

20. Nick Pettefar

I can't believe

you are actually quoting from The Sun! Please shoot the messenger.

Ignore the text, the only real content is on Page Three - forever capitalised.

- Yesterday's blond, sideways on, now there's a speedbump!

--

Wiltshire ZZR11 owner

21. Craig
    Thumb Up

Looked quite safe to me

No dangerous weaving, using the lanes as intended etc.

22. Daniel
    Thumb Down

yes but ...

the guy IS a bloody fool, but ... people love DO to focus on speed, get all up in arms about it. "oooh, bad boy ..."

but on ANY day on the road, you can go 5 miles up the motorway, and encounter numerous examples of the 7 deadly sins of motoring:

- pulling out without indicating

- bad lane discipline

- aggressive driving

- pulling out while indicating but into the path of another vehicle who is then forced to brake

- driving with mobile phone clamped to head

- leaving inadequate stopping distance (tailgating)

(that's only 6, I'm sure someone will think of the 7th ...)

and the chances of those people ever getting so much as a ticking off are close to zero. absolute bollocksing short sighted murderous hypocrisy.

But let's all get up in arms about speeding, shall we. Cos that's dangerous, innit.

fuckwits.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Fun!

If people didn't take risks we'd still be sat in trees picking our noses.

Death to the health and safety wimps who clearly have the wrong amount of testosterone in their bodies!

24. Steve

Re: at the idiot kerr (and Andy)

Velocity itself does not make something dangerous, but the amount of control the driver has at that speed - if this guy was a seasoned motorcycle racer, he may have been completely safe or he could have been a 15yr old on a stolen bike. From the video he clearly seems to know how to handle the machine and was paying attention to the road - at the speed he was going, he was probably more aware of the other road users than they were of him as he would not have avoided crashing otherwise.

Remember, speed doesn't kill - stopping does.

25. Rich Harding
    Thumb Up

What on earth are you on about?

There isn't a single piece of remotely dangerous riding in the clip embedded on this page. Frankly, apart from a slight chuckle when he spun the back wheel, I was bored to tears by the entire thing. Judging by their comments, most of the posters on this page have never ridden a bike, would probably die of fright on the CBT if they did and are completely unqualified to comment.

26. Ash
    IT Angle

Ghost Rider

THAT dude was dangerous. Wheelie past traffic doing about 90mph.

Jesus did he have some skill, though.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Nothing fancy here...

I ride a Honda CBR-XX 1100 and here in germany some of our "highways" don't have speed limit. From time to time I go 280 - 300kph (reading spedo).

And I tell you that this is fun. But you have to keep more than one eyes way ahead on the street...

And in that video the weather is fine and there no traffic ahead when opened up. So this guy just lives in the wrong country... ;)

28. Gulfie
    Thumb Down

Hmmm...

Reckless (not wreckless, pulease...) is going so fast that you can't stop or avoid an obstruction in time - regardless of if that is 50mph over or 50mph under the limit.

If somebody had decided to cross the road (there are foot crossing points, I use the road regularly), what notice would the pedestrian, or the biker, have had, at 140 let alone 190? How about a bull, or a horse, loose on the road. Any idea how many 100's of yards the stopping distance is at 140? How many seconds ahead the biker has to see the obstruction in order to stop without hitting it? No? Then stick to a speed where you know you can stop in time.

I love speed but the only place to do this sort of speed is on a race track. Go to a test day, it is cheaper than getting caught and safer than using the 'open road' whatever that is, you don't get any points and the ambulance crew are already on site if you get it wrong...

29. Rick Eastwood

Signalling

He drives at a ridiculous speed yes but apart from the speed he does ride well.

He even signals correctly when he turns round. Most of the other throbbers you see going roundabouts dont signal or are even aware that anyone else might be on the road.

I'm just jealous of Robert Neville. Now he could really stick his foot down safely :-)

30. Tim Williams

I've seen more dangerous at 20mph...

I totally agree with Chris Collins. While he was going fast, he wasn't doing a ghost rider thing of weaving in and out between cars. He wasn't "forcing traffic out of the way". Yes traffic got out of the way, but I very much doubt that if they stayed in his lane that he would been able to do much about it. It's quite nice to see drivers that weren't hogging the outside lane for once.

31. Hedley Phillips

Plain lack of respect

Obviously doesn't care if he hurts anyone else.

Shows a basic lack of respect for others.

32. Julian Bond
    Thumb Down

KPH.

Pah, that was all pretty tame. Seemed like he was taking it pretty easy and only doing bursts of speed when there was plenty of room.

I'm fairly sure it's showing KPH as

1) He wasn't passing cars and trucks at 100mph more than them.

2) Even a ZX10 doesn't get the last 20mph as fast as that. It'll get to 150 amazingly quickly but 150 to 180-ish takes a while.

33. Allan Hack-Barr
    Pirate

@DS

That bike could easily exceed 189mph - seems it has a turbocharged engine producing 450bhp, also a lengthened swingarm which explains why it seems to go round corners like a pig on stilts. Look at the chap's other videos.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Heck, my FJR 1300 does 165

Of course, I have no idea how much the speedo is lying as I didn't have my GPS with me that day. I was very bored on the way from Orlando to Kennedy Space Center, and the road was empty and very straight. I passed only one car in 20 miles.

I shall have to grab the GPS and take a day off, in the name of science and El Reg.

However, it's a lot more fun to cane the tits off it round corners than in a boring straight line like that, no matter how fast. That's why I've also kept my SV-650.

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh goody... yet another hysteric article in the Sun

Come on. The Sun ALWAYS publishes hysterical outbursts. Hello, proof of that is the anti-hysterics hysteric outburst from Mr Jeremy I'm-Mr-Smarty-Pants Clarkson... only to be blatted by his own stupidity.

Yes, the rider was being irresponsible by doing this on a fairly crowded road, but there's not a chance he was doing 189 mph. That's over max speed (as mandated by the manufacturer) for a bike of that calibre... It's max speed is 186mph.

And the Sun has a problem with bikers anyway, although I sometimes want to shove my size 10 Alpinestars into someone's butt when they ride like complete plonkers (doing 100+ mph with sneakers and jeans on FFS).

36. Curtis
    Paris Hilton

whels spinning....

the only way the wheel spinning would affect the speedo is if it's the front wheel. that's where the speedo gear is, not on the drive wheel. it's easy to fake a high speed on a video just by swapping the speedo gear for one meant for a bigger tire. as for his actual speed, why not count the time between unique checkpoints? that would give a far more accurate speed reading.

and was there a strumpet on the back of said crotch rocket? evey bike needs a seatcover.

37. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I call bullshit

The acceleration to 189 seems to quick to be feasible. The rate at which the surroundings go past does not increase similarly. The bike itself is exceptionally unlikely to make 189.

As another observation, he seems to be riding within both his ability and 'sensibly' for the road and weather conditions - if he really was the drooling nutter that some people will portray him as he would have gunned it it the roundabout at which he stopped.

I showed this to a mate who immediately trotted out the old 'but speed is a factor in 2/3rds of all accidents' line.

Unfortunately this is a misquote from a report which found that 'the misperception of other drivers' speed was a factor in 2/3rds of the accidents studied'.

Big difference - one implies 'reduce all speed'. The other implies 'more driver education about speed perception'.

38. Vulpes Vulpes

Left me standing

That's my Ford Focus he overtook on his way up through the gears.

Bugger went past like I was standing still, and I was doing 125mph myself.

Ooops.

Er, no I wasn't. Not really. Honest, officer.

Lid, leathers.

39. Nigel Rook

According to the Sun "We've been eating the mushrooms we found in the garden"

According to the Sun, the "speed freak forces other drivers to change lanes as he heads in the direction of the A417 Swindon to Gloucester road", while his machine is "also seen weaving dangerously in and out of traffic on a single carriageway in an urban area".

-------

Sorry, where? I'm thinking the first quote relates to someone moving out of the fast lane having passed a slow moving vehicle, but that's not really being forced to change lanes by the rider. The second quote... i'm guessing it's referencing the single lane dual carriageway section at the end, though weaving seems like something of an exaggeration, his road position is fairly constant. "Filtering at what one might argue is a slightly excessive speed" seems more appropriate.

Was he going too fast? probably. I know i'd have browned my pants at 190 and based on what I've done on my SV650, i'm pretty sure I'd be feeling too edgy to ride safely at 140 either (which happens to be its top speed), but then again, that's me with my awful eyesight and nervous disposition. On this occaision at least, this guy doesn't present a hazard to anyone, except maybe any jumped-up speed fascists who fly into a blind rage when he goes past them

40. Ben Oldham
    Paris Hilton

Go on...

In a fair democracy, surely he should be allowed to kill himself however he likes. If his vehicle of choice is a 450BHP (His numbers...) bike with an extra long swing arm, then thats up to him.

Bearing in mind the pic of the bike in a fairly undesirable area of Gloucester on another vid, can i presume he works at Fasthosts?

/Leathers

41. Andrew Poodle
    Thumb Up

I've seen far worse at legal speeds

Apart from the speed itself (which I would also dispute as being 189mph) That riding didn't appear particularly dangerous.

If you look in the reflection of the speedometer, you can even see him do a lifesaver over his left shoulder on the roundabout. He was obviously well aware of the traffic, and slowed when he approached other vehicles. The point regarding pedestrians is also somewhat irrelevant, as even at 70mph, any driver or rider would be unable to stop shoud a ped-lemming decided to cross a busy dual carriageway without looking properly.

People in this country need to stop blaming everything on speed, and look at driver education. I'm sure there are far more fatalities at legal speeds that are down to stupidity.

42. Owen Carter
    Go

Not as good as..

If all the other bikers in the crowd want to watch a youtube video that will have them twitching, try searching for 'Paris Ring Road'. Total madness.

It's the counter-example to this, huge speed in the wrong conditions..

43. Gianni Straniero
    Pirate

Redline

You won't get many spares out of that engine by the time he's finished with it.

44. Richard Hopwood
    Thumb Up

Its great to see some sensible comments on speeding for a change

first off, the ZX-10R is electronically restricted to 300KPH (about 186mph) although this can be lifted with a bit of electronic jiggery-pokery.

Secondly, it's great to hear some sensible points of view on what constitutes dangerous driving, I'm with many people here in thinking that it was a clear day, clear road ahead, obviously well in control of his vehicle and probably more aware of what's going on around him than many other road users. The only danger would be to himself if there was a major mechanical fault which threw him off, although I don't know how much more dangerous that would be than if it were to happen at 70MPH. It's actually quite hard to hit something head on with a bike even at that kind of speed, they're only about 2 foot wide and quite manoeuvrable.

ZX-9R Owner

45. Matt

Come on, get a grip.

I agree, this guy was driving safely. I know it's hard for people to believe (well for those in the UK), but going above 70mph is not the work of the devil and you don't instantly die.

Let me modify that a bit, his last dash around the cars at 50 was a bit dubious but not enough to cause a fuss.

On the other hand I've seen the British police flash by me while I was doing 70 on a very busy stretch of motorway. Now that's dangerous.

46. This post has been deleted by its author

47. Rob

Its modfied

Will quite easily do 189mph

As someone has already mentioned:"seems it has a turbocharged engine producing 450bhp, also a lengthened swingarm which explains why it seems to go round corners like a pig on stilts. Look at the chap's other videos."

Looks more like the back wheel is spinning up and thats why it shows 189mph as it is read off the rear sprocket

48. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re - That bike will not do 189MPH

Um, yes it will. The ZX10R is a complete animal of a bike, and the latest version has had a whole bunch of work done on the frame and suspension which makes the enormous power output of the engine a whole lot more useable.

Remember, this is a current model bike (Fuel injected), and I've done 170-odd on a '96 Suzuki GSX-R (carburated) over in Germany on the way to Berlin. Big advances have been made in power output and fuel efficiency since then.

I'm training for the IAM advanced riding qualification, and it does really piss me off to hear to kneejerk reactions people come out with in regard to mention of speed above the legal limit. Illegal it is, yes, but the aside from that the key factor is SAFETY.

Above the legal limit does not necessarily mean unsafe. Think about the machine he's riding - its cutting edge technology, which can accelerate but also brake and change direction far better than most cars on the road. As another poster has already commented, the weak point in the equation is the meat sack in the saddle. Is he in control of the bike, reading the road far ahead, adjusting speed and course in anticipation of hazards ... or is he a dickhead just cracking open the gas regardless...?

You don't know from a tiny low-res video clip, but some people are so quick to parrot the politically correct expression of outrage. Why then aren't you people spending your weekends standing on the bridges over the M1 waving 'slow down' signs at the 'idiots' driving at 120 if you are so outraged by this. No, its easier to not really think for yourself isn't it.

49. Chris Taylor
    Paris Hilton

Not that I have

gone quite to these extremes.

But generally going fast is fun, if your normal and not the owner of a hemp sandal factory. Naturally Brake are unhappy that this person has proved that speed doesn't kill. But as they will only be happy when we revert to the stone age then who cares.

well done that person

I have chosen paris as she too likes a fast ride

50. Ex Pat
    Linux

Linux is to blame

Nah, he's actually doing about 35mph. The reason the speedo says 189 is that it is running Linux and there is a bug in the billion line bloated software app that measures the speed. The bug got introduced because the author also decided to make the program calculate how long it takes a cup of tea to brew and he miscalculated somewhere.

Don't worry, I hear that my 12 year old neighbour is working on a patch that he will submit next week when he has finished his woodwork project. You'll be able to download the patch from www.nogirlfriend.com

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.