back to article First mobile Intel 'Penryn' processors to launch in January

Intel has already launched its first desktop 45nm 'Penryn' processor, the Core 2 Extreme QX9650 and has begun seeding next year's QX9770 - reviewed here. And now we know what it's planning for laptops. While these desktop CPUs are quad-core parts, the mobiles will be dual-core chips, DailyTech reports. They'll debut on 6 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John

Moore's law moves sideways

3 Ghz chips have been around for years now. I guess there must be major obstacles to getting 4+ Ghz.

So as to keep Moore's law, Intel and AMD are moving sideways and adding more cores, this is good, but faster cores would be better. The multi-tasking is improved but if you have a decent scheduler (aka Linux or mac(bastardised unix) ) then this isn't a problem.

How many people know how to write multi-threaded programs? It's difficult even within a good framework. Many software vendors are going to have to redesign the internals of their programs if they want to keep up.

Moore's law stays for now....but I bet most vendors would rather faster single cores.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE : Moore's law moves sideways

How come you say Mac OS is a bastardized UNIX ? As of Leopard, Mac OS /is/ a bona fide UNIX variant !

http://www.opengroup.org/comm/press/19-2-nov07.htm

3. James

RE : Moore's law moves sideways

As far as I understand Moores Law predicts the cost of components (transistors) on an IC not the clock frequency or anything else.

4. André Marques

So...

My Santa Rosa Clevo M570RU would gladly accept a T9500 to replace his T7300, right?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like