back to article Dutch mull radical cash for kidneys plan

Dutch health minister Ab Klink is mulling a Dutch Health Council recommendation to offer "free health insurance for life to anyone who donates a kidney for transplant", the Sunday Times reports. The plan is a reponse to the Netherlands' "chronic shortage" of organ donors, which means around 200 people die every year while on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mike Moyle
    Coat

Do they take the insurance away...

...if you need a kidney back, later?

2. Mike

How to scam the Dutch

First, you donate a kidney and take the 'health care for life.'

Then, you donate a kidney and take the cash.

Then, you get a kidney transplant -- surely total loss of kidneys is covered by the plan. Maybe you'll get lucky and get one of your own kidneys back.

3. The Other Steve
    Thumb Up

Can't help wondering if ...

this is because the Dutch only managed a measly 811 road deaths (major source of transplant organs*) in 2006, compared to a stonking 3150 in the UK.

That's because there are less retarded petrol heads and more bicycles (more bicycles than people, in fact) in Holland.

I like Holland.

*UK organ donation from this source has fallen (allegedly) as a result of road safety measures, by about 48% between '94 and '02, for instance.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Good deal

I for one could use the 50 grand a lot more than I need a second kidney right now. This is quality merchandise though - toughened through many years of alcohol processing.

5. Dan Mathias
    Dead Vulture

@The Other Steve

Of course, the fact that there are a quarter as many Dutchies as there are Brits has nothing to do with the fact that they have a quarter as many road deaths per year...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Surely

they have 200 or so tourists a year they could use, do it in the airport no one will notice, mention terrorism.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Spare Parts

Instead of bribing the populace to give up their spare bits with cash and free health insurance, surely it would be more effective to assume someones bits are up for grabs after they kick it unless they are marked on a "I don't wanna dontate list". Heck you could even zealously gaurd your Frankenstein materials so those who opt out aren't allowed to get replacement parts, seems fair to me.

This topic is closed for new posts.