back to article Brown blushes over green cuts

Gordon Brown is preparing to give his first major speech on the action the government is taking to tackle climate change, but it will be against a background of massive cuts in the government agency charged with managing the environment, the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). According to a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. g e
    Pirate

I applaud Gordy boy for his green stance

Now that road tax is charged according to the pollution the vehicle creates we are one of the very few countries in the world to be able to boast a zero carbon footprint for motoring regardless of vehicle type.

Cos he uses all that cash to clean it up, naturally.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

No problem

Just start another tax, worked in the past...

Mmmm let's see, yes that's it. The "Not having a "green alternative" energy supply because they cost to much and you're to poor to afford one because all you money goes on taxes to get to work and back" tax

How much do assainations cost these days and can you get BOGOF deals so I can get rid of the slimey Tory twat at the same time?

3. John Macintyre
    Thumb Up

I just love stories like this

It's great to know that when it comes down to global warning, climate change, improving way of life, reducing the cost of environmentally unfriendly processes, the government is on the ball and leading the way, and clearly has it's heart and priorities in the right place. Oh hang on, the money's all going elsewhere. Nevermind, they can just hike taxes instead surely, who's going to notice?

Probably a random point, but what is the carbon output of the war campaign currently running? Or does that go under Iraq's emissions rather than ours/the US?

4. Ash

@Mr Reeves

I have a feeling you've been added to "The List".

Myself? Go Brown! Go Labour! Go USA!

Can I have my MTV and my Levi Jeans now?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

@ash

As between us my wife and I have been to Cuba, Russia, China & Pakistan in the last decade, think we're pretty knakered anyway.

Thank Allah I have don't have a tan....

6. Ross Fleming
    Stop

I just love stories like this... mk II

Yup, I love these stories too. El Reg is reporting on what another news outlet is hypothesising:

"The cuts are likely to hit those agencies dealing with recycling, energy saving, carbon emissions and nature protection, the newspaper says"

Note the word "likely". So we don't know.

I'll be honest, I'd rather 300m quid was lopped off DEFRA and spent on improving other things, like transport etc who can actually improve the infrastructure and reduce the dependency on cars. Can't see DEFRA achieving that sort of thing...

Let them get on with it - or vote for someone else. It's the beauty of a democracy (which on a complete off-topic, does not mean referendums on all and sundry)

7. richard comont

Nature England

Incidentally, it's *Natural* England: they're already financially crippled as a result of having >100m taken from their budget before the organisation was launched last year, with the result that they could afford to pay staff, etc, but not run any new projects - ie, no new practical conservation projects. Pretty good for a conservation organisation, no? The fact that they're even contemplating slashing the budget further shows just how paper-thin the government's 'commitment' to the environment actually is...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gordy "Green stance"

Stance is all it is. He won't actually do anything that has any effect. All mouth and no trousers as they say.

This topic is closed for new posts.