@Tin hat wearers
Without reading through every line of the EULA I can't say this for certain, but history has shown that they will include a clause about information being collected, sent back to the mothership, hashed, diced, sliced, and extruded in some way, shape, or form that makes the License Holder feel better about things. I mean, you actually expected that something wouldn't be sent back to something you are making a digital connection to? Hell, they have your IP address, and even supposedly dynamic IP services are pretty static these days.
Is this right? Legally speaking, I would say it is. Unlike the shrink-wrap license, you are free to not accept the terms, cancel your membership, and no longer be paying. In fact, I think you are able to download the client for a free trial, see the terms at installation, and back out, before any money even changes hands.
Discussions about the ethics, the morality, the fairness do not belong in this situation, as Blizzard is making it clear they are exercising their legal rights through the EULA they have crafted and require everyone to accept before logging in. Just like you can exercise your right to discontinue your membership, or not start playing the game. You are making an economic decision: is your entertainment more valuable than the information sent back to Blizzard that is not used for any purpose than to expose cheating. And that whole, "If it's not doing anything bad, why hide" BS can easily be turned right around back at you. At least come up with a compelling argument against it, besides some Bush/Blair toddler logic.
As stated earlier, Blizzard has a vested economic interest in ensuring that the system is not being exploited and undermined to the point that legitimate players stop playing, and then, stop paying. Using Blizzard as a poster-child for what is wrong with your conception of the internet is no better than using Microsoft as a poster-child for your conception of bad operating systems. It fails to actually address the issue, and just makes you sound like some silly little git, further decreasing any legitimacy you might have had.
And to think Blizzard is the only MMO that might do it, or online game? What about the various anti-cheating measures that Valve uses, or how about the anti-cheating measures other matchmaking programs use? They have a vested interest, and 98% of people who use them would be fine with that, if they can be confident that the headshot from 4km away was just a damn lucky shot, and not an aim-bot. The other 2% who double as net-utopians don't quite grasp that the only reason why so much money and manpower is invested in the whole system is to make more money than spent! In fact, if the companies ever catch on to how much of a money pit the internet really is, and there are only a few good ways to make cash, and they are either illegal/gray area (gaming and gambling), or well saturated (porn), investment will dry up, and the internet will be ruled by Wikipedians who have no one but themselves to argue with.
So... lets review. Money Spent + Manpower Used < Money Earned, or the internet will disappear. Granted, given that article about the whole, -6 is smaller than -8, there might be questions on the equation...