1. /\/\j17

It's not April is it?

Secure coding advice...from Microsoft?

Is it subtitled "Do as we say, not as we do" by any chance?

2. David Hearn

Or from MS direct

Alternatively, you can download it from MS as a PDF. See http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-gb/security/aa473878.aspx

If it's the same as the copies MS were giving away at their free events in 2006, the spine is printed the wrong way, thus when lined up in a bookshelf with other books, it's reversed compared to the other books.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Double Take on Date

I had to check it was October and not the beginning of April

"The team at Microsoft has done a bit of developing in its time and has drawn up a few guidelines on security engineering activities that should be an integral part of your software development process - bundled up in one convenient little handbook."

I'm sorry, 'Microsoft', 'Guidelines', 'Security' in one sentence that doesn't include the words 'ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha'

Is it perhaps a history of Microsoft development with the advice at end to do the opposite (thanks Douglas Adams)

4. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Pot Kettle and Black

Microsoft and security.. now that's what I call amazing. Pity most of their products weren't so security conscious. Any outpouring from Redmond tends to resemble a sieve in my humble opinion!!

5. Andrew Badera
    Dead Vulture

David Hearn, we hardly knew ye

... taps foot, waiting for the Reg hammer to drop on David's login.

6. Steve Mansfield
    Thumb Up

Knee-jerk reaction

Actually I've read through this (I got it at a Visual Studio event a while back) and it's a good basic introduction to various ideas around secure coding.

If someone is new or inexperienced to the demands of coding securely and defensively for a corporate business-critical environment rather than hobby or self-taught coding, this is a good primer, and much of it is conceptual considerations rather than tied to Microsoft products.

I know this comment doesn't tie in with the knee-jerk anti-Microsoft sentiment this topic has predictably unleashed, and I would of course like to unreservedly apologise for being a M$ imperialist running dog fanb0i or whatever: but some of you, or someone you know, might actually find it a quite useful read.

7. Tony Barry

Some Microsoft titles are good titles

I haven't read this particular offering, but I think "Code Complete" by Steve McConnell (Microsoft Press) is an absolute Must Read. I am not an M$ fanboi either, despite this uncharacteristic comment to the contrary.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Yes but

Well I guess it's a nice starting point.

It's also given away free at any of those Microsoft seminars you might go to. Be aware it was written when .net 1.1 was release and 2.0 was in beta.

This topic is closed for new posts.