back to article BT offers £1K for Wi-Fi application

BT is offering £1,000 to the best mobile phone application that uses a Wi-Fi connection for something, anything, in an attempt to work out just what such connections are for. The "Developer Challenge Competition" is open to anyone who can put together a Symbian application - Symbian is supporting the competition, so Java …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wifi for mobiles

You could use it to drain your battery quickly ready for an improved recharge cycle. Or maybe to cause sufficient interference to stop car central locking remotes from working.

2. /\/\j17

Duh...

Obviously "because WiFi is cheaper than using the phone connection to browse the interweb" and "because VoIP calls over WiFi are cheaper than mobile network calls" have escaped BTs field of view.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How about....

....Errrr - collecting email over a fast FREE network rather than having to collect if over a slow paid network?!

4. Morely Dotes
    Thumb Down

Bloody obvious!

- Synchronising ringtones with your PC

- Downloading pictures from the phone to the PC

- Synchronizing email and SMS messages with the PC

And since it's Wifi, all of those could be done remotely; say, when I am in Quebec and my PC is (as always) in Oregon.

But I'm not going to write anything. Let Nokia do it.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Another go at toothing....

So, they're looking for something new and interesting to do at a BT Openzone wifi spot?

Maybe we could have another shot at a decent 'toothing' application? With wifi, users could benefit from a 'richer' multimedia experience, possibly by viewing the potential partner's MySpace page, before making a commitment to any hankypanky.

6. Ash

Traffic Generator...

... to destroy wireless signal across the entire band, instead of just one end of it.

7. Bill Fresher
    Gates Halo

adverts

something that scans your text messages and uses what it finds to pull relevant video advertisements whenever you're in wifi range.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

What I'd like to see...

Is an application for the Nokia N95, that will allow it to act as a Wi-Fi to 3G wireless router.

9. Pete
    IT Angle

Re: Bloody obvious!

I'm pretty sure the N95 can do all those already

10. Mark Fenton

Shame they want symbian...

...I've just finished writing a suite of apps for Windows Mobile (also XP/Vista/2003 Server) that sync files between handheld, workstation,laptop etc -without using ActiveSync.

Ah well...

11. Lex
    Coat

Wooft

"As long as your entry can install on a S60 or UIQ device (version 3 or above), then it can be entered into the competition - assuming it uses Wi-Fi, of course.®"

So much for Windows Mobile.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Erm stuff like.....

web mail, pc anywhere, websurfing the normal stuff you do with a internet/network connection, i.e SPV Office files etc

13. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

The Killer App

How about remote management tool that reboots the phone when you attempt to use low cost VoIP over wifi ... should keep the revenue rolling. Symbian ... zzzzzhhh ... why not COBOL?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

BT and Symbian generosity

£1k top prize, two £250 second prizes and 10 runner up prizes of a Symbian press book ?

BT must be desperate.

Perhaps £1k for the idea but this is marketing/development on the cheap.

Hang on, perhaps it's ingenious, they could offer a £10 reward for someone to fix their Home Hub security flaw (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/09/bt_home_hub_vuln/) ...

15. Mike Peachey
    Thumb Up

One Word....

PuTTY

16. Derek Wilde
    Thumb Up

On Line Backup....

I would have thought a killer app for this would be to auto detect an unsecured (or registered) WiFi Zone, connect, then synchronise your contacts and photos as well as ringtones.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is that £6250

C.F New currency for space travellers http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7029564.stm exchange rate of £6.28 to the Quid

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fring's the thing..

...for me.

Free calls (OK, to Skype etc.) are great, I think I've saved the cost of my E65 in Roaming charges!

19. Peter

Wifi Tart Cards

Instead of the gels putting their cards in phone boxes, they should have a wifi router broadcasting their 'wares'.

20. John Redbook

T&Cs?

Call me cynical but no sign of any T&Cs. Wonder what rights the winner has to assign to BT?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like