back to article Palm admits new OS 18 months away

Palm CEO Ed Colligan has confirmed the new Palm OS won't be finished until the end of 2008. Originally scheduled for release by the end of this year, the operating system's launch date has continued to be pushed back, despite the added attention of the engineers freed up by the scrapping of Foleo last month. The new OS will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Didnt they

Already prove they can't get a new opsys out? PalmOS 6, wasn't it? Whatever happened to that? Oh, it was very late and missed the boat...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Generic title

Anyone want to take any bets on whether or not Palm will still *exist* in 18 months time? Not that I'm being cynical or anything like that ... oh my no ...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Their only chance would be

to make a working linux distribution for phones and sell that. If it has a palm layer or not doesn't really matter nowdays. Their biggest competitor nowdays is the openmoko project which also aims to make a linux phone.

4. S

AARGH

I really wish Palm would come out with a new update soon! I really like Palm devices, but it's dragging on so much...and I want to buy a new phone, but no, there is no Palm device for me to upgrade too...

So it looks like Symbian, but my money application program is Palm OS only. Plus I hate Outlook, so I'm using Palm Desktop. As far as I know, Sunbird isn't nearly ready to be used mainstream (although it's coming on leaps and bounds) and there is no way to sync it with a Symbian phone. I could use SyncML (and there are loads of public servers available) - but the SyncML plugin for Sunbird absolutely sucks (because it doesn't work).

So we're back to square one, and I'm thinking I should just buy a Mac, because then it would be so much easier to simply run a standalone calendar application which I don't need to pay for.

5. Adrian Esdaile

Looking wistfully at old Palm 3i sitting on shelf

Why is it that these days when I hear the word 'Palm' I immediately get an image of Cletus Spuckler in my head?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like