back to article NASA ponders stressful stress-test device for astronauts

American researchers have developed a new handheld device which they reckon will be able to tell if an astronaut is too stressed out, tired, or otherwise unfit to carry out a difficult task in space. According to an article in New Scientist, David Dinges - chief of Pennsylvania University's Unit for Experimental Psychiatry - …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. amanfromMars Silver badge

Show Times...... Open All Hours.

"Or they could just let the beleaguered astronauts get on with their jobs and let them have a beer occasionally." :-)

Are astronauts Self Employed or are they subcontracted out by a holding company to prepare for horrendously expensive missions in Space which have produced nothing whereas if IT Created Linked Living Spaces as Imagined for Space on Earth, IT would Create as many Alien Environments as would be most Popular.

Perhaps that is the ARGonauts Role in such Virtuous Virtual Matters?

2. Adam Potts

Re: Show Times...... Open All Hours.

You what???

3. Stuart Van Onselen

Please...

Very funny.

But any astronaut susceptible to "pre-PVT stress syndrome" is definitely NOT up to the task of taking his comrade's lves in his hands as he pilots them back to earth, for example.

Imagine if Lovell, Swigert, Haise or Kranz were unstable enough to lose their cool over a couple blinking lights! Apollo 13 would have become the world's most expensive mausoleum.

4. Chris Collins

Not blockbuster material

Surely having conflict and psychological disorders is what Hollywood space movies are all about. Are you telling they aren't allowed to go nuts and foil the nuclear bomb in the sun mission? Not even if they inhale the glue fumes clearly blowing around Mars.

5. Martin Gregorie

Proof

I've always heard that psychiatrists are the natural enemies of astronauts and pilots. This proves it.

6. b shubin

Need one

i wonder what the PVT would show for our Martian friend from the first post.

whatever substance (s)he's on, i hope it's legal and cheap, (s)he's definitely using a lot of it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like