back to article Alcatel unveils mobile phone under £20

Does your phone support Hair-Band GSM/GPRS/BONO EDGE and HSBC capabilities? If you think a 3G phone is under gravitational stress, or WMV music is a highstreet store...there’s no point paying for a cutting-edge handset. Alcatel is attempting to remedy this by launching a back to basics mobile phone. Register Hardware would …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nick Pettefar

Great!

I can get my teenagers these - they lose and break their mobiles regularly. So long as it "texts" and "calls" it has my vote.

2. Jon Brunson

Not as sexy as the F3 though...

No need for a cheap phone to look ugly!

I bought a Moto F3 as a temp. phone while my XDA got fixed, and it's was lovely! People kept thinking I had the latest & greatest Moto phone, but it was a cheapo £15 job, ha!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sweet!

I'd like to see more of this type of phone (albeit a bit more stylish).

Just give me phone, text, contacts and a damn long battery life in a nice small package and I'll throw my current phone away!

I've had several phones and never been happy with them since losing my old Moto V66

4. JimP

What I really want is...

A cheap mobile phone which can run off AA rechargeable batteries. I can't seem to find one of those anywhere.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CDMA please

Great! Now make an unlocked CDMA version please...

6. Stu

So where is the 'Motorola unveils mobile phone under £20' article? The F3.

You guys even reviewed the Moto F3 months ago without this sensationalist headline.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/03/29/review_motorola_motofone_f3/

And as a result I went out and bought one - I was in the market for a cheap secondary, and I agree with Jon Brunson above - it is pretty good, looks a darned sight better than this Alcatel lump.

Its got an e-ink screen so can be seen in bright sunlight, has a dim backlight which is sufficient for night time, u can make calls and texts and nothing else, and is really thin.

Minimalism is great in certain circumstances.

My only criticism is that it has a lousy user interface, its not in any way intuitive, but is fine when u get used to it.

It was even designed for use in third world or developing countries, so they designed it cheaply but effectively and sell it at the right price.

So people - get a motorola F3 instead of this Alcatel!!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

USB charger

I want a standard USB charger (as required in China now), and a decent keylock that won't magically unlock while in my pocket...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Picky

"and operates over GSM 900 and 1800 bandwidths."

The GSM bandwidth is 200 KHz (ish) the frequency bands are 900MHz and 1800MHz.

I'll get me coat

9. Rich

Subsidy?

What's the real unsubsidised price? GBP120?

I'm thinking that mobile phones will become like calculators - you'll just buy one at a garage/stationary store/$2 shop when your current one breaks.

Which would rather wreck the business model of Apple in selling $600 phones.

10. David Cantrell

Still over-specced

Calculator? Colour screen? GAMES?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This will sell faster than iPhone!

Finally, a mobile WITHOUT a camera! As a worker in a nuclear power plant, I will finally be able to take a mobile to the office building! The last one that I could wouldn't fit in my briefcase!

It is just perfect! All the features I will eventually use! People want phones thats take pictures, cameras that record movies, what is next, camcorders that can build clay models out of what they recorded?

USB charger and a screen fit for sunlight would make it great... wait.... isn't it the Moto F3 mentioned above? Too bad the F3 misses a calculator...

I'll get me coat...

12. andy gibson

Cheaper at Netto

Netto currently has a Nokia phone on sale for about £11

13. JeffyPooh

Been there, done that.

Just earlier today we bought a Noka 1110i (not locked, no contract, choose any SIM) for 1750 Philippine pesos (about 18.90 pounds). There were cheaper options as low as PP1350 (about 14.58 pounds).

We bought it simply for one month local txt and calls to avoid roaming charges if we used our North American phones here.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like