back to article New ASA boss targets bogus web sites

The new boss of the advertising watchdog has said bogus web adverts and websites need better regulation and conceded that current rules are not far-reaching enough. Lord Chris Smith, in his first day as chairman of the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA), said he wanted to respond to growing public concern over misleading …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

about time

I recently clicked on a banner offering a credit card from a well known provider based on its claim to give me a "decision within one minute" and true to its word, within 60 seconds it told me i would get a letter in 7 days! - They may well ask "What's in your wallet?", its not their card, thats for sure!!

2. Gerard Krupa

Good news

When I complained to the ASA about Virgin Media's claims to operate an unlimited broadband service I got a letter back telling me the complaint was invalid because the claim was made on their own web site. Exempting third-party sites and banners is sensible enough but it seems ridiculous that advertisers are permitted to lie, cheat and display inappropriate material in their own web content.

This topic is closed for new posts.