back to article PowerColor ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT graphics card

We've waited a long time for AMD's ATI Radeon HD 2400 and 2600 graphics chips. Although they were launched in May alongside the HD 2900 XT - reviewed here - it's only now that these budget and mid-range parts have gone on sale. PowerColor HD 2600 XT PowerColor's HD 2600 XT Before we dive into our review of the PowerColor' …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Leo Waldock

A fuller explanation

I appreciate that my comment about the 2600 XT being a disappointment sounds a bit contradictory but I stand by it, and here's why.

AMD has known the specification and performance of the 8600GT and GTS for ages and it could choose to put as many or as few stream processors into the 2600 chip as it liked, and of course it could set the price at any point that it chose too.

The performance and pricing of the 2600 XT is, therefore, a carefully considered decision that AMD should aim to beat the number two chip (the 8600 GT) by a tiny margin.

That's probably a sane, practical and wise prove but nonetheless it disappoints me.

2. Nikomus

X300 SE

I've still got an old X300 SE! I may never forgive Compaq for putting it in my system, but I can still run BF2 quite comfortably on it. Still, time for an update I think! Recon I should just go all out on a 2900 XT? I think I'd notice the jump in performance a bit!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like