back to article Brown splits DTI, creates ministers for biz & boffinry

One of Gordon Brown's first acts as Prime Minister has been the abolition of the Department of Trade & Industry (DTI). In an announcement this afternoon, the new premier outlined significant changes to the UK's machinery of government. The former DTI's role in boosting and regulating the British economy now passes to the newly …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. breakfast Silver badge

Ex Machina

Department for Expertise, Universities and Skills would have given a much better acronym.

2. Andy

DBERR

I guess with all the failed IT projects, they have got pretty used to seeing DB ERR on their screens.

3. Mark Rendle

DataBase ERRor!

I need to get out more.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Department for Innovation, Universities & Skills (DIUS)'???

Only because 'Department of odds and sods, watchamacallits and doohickies' would have looked lousy on a brass name plate.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Could be worse

MP for children, schools and families is called 'Balls'.

I can see "Balls on Children" being a headline come the morning.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let's run with this

Maybe education can be handled for the Department for Improvement of Children's Knowledge and Skills?

7. Tim Brown

How about...

The Department of Information, Communication, Knowledge, and Science?

(think about it...)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sorry to be serious but ...

... we all end up paying for a rebranding exercise.

There's a hell of a lot of printed material with the old branding - what will happen to that.

Go to http://www.dti.gov.uk/ - hang on, that's not right.

Do a google search for dti.gov.uk and see all the associated sub-domains.

The cost of this rebranding makes the London Olympics logo (Yo Lisa!) seem cheap.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

their playing ,not acting

its all well and good playing the word games chaps, but the old DTI and this new financed creche for the privelaged still does nothing for the likes of the countrys worst job and school prospects, such as Manchester airports massive Wyhthenshawe area.

the so called largest EU council estate were the labour Govt have sold off all the school grounds and the many shops sites for new housing that we dont need any more of, but those new familys need these now non existant schools and shops to goto and work in.

weres this new initative going to bring in the vast innovative computer/nano tech ?, not wythenshawe/south manchester or even its longtime computer center/UNI 10 miles away in central manchester...

or any of the countrys other low income,low education,high free meals that its white disgarded pupils can benefit from in the long term future...

perhaps these high power business blokes should get back to the shop floor as it were in these area's and really make a difference in innovation as the victorians did in britans hayday.

http://www.teachers.tv/video/5458

or perhaps their part of the http://deception.crimepsychblog.com/ school of thought.....

10. James Anderson

Impartial Advice

Would that be like the advice "EDS" gave to the Inland Revenue which surprise surprise led to a tax regime which favoured large IT consultancies and stuffed independent IT contractors with a blanket "there are no expenses you can claim and pay National Insurance on everything" rule.

11. N1AK

Previous Anon seems to be proof of those 'worst schools'

Seriously, do you know what capitals are? And that their is more than one spelling of their/there/they're and that were does not mean where.

I'm sure their was a point to your post, but the absolute shambles you made of spelling and structure just make you look like a poorly educated, sun reader who spouts verbatim the views they are told rather than formed themselves.

- - -

I actually think that his actions on becoming PM may show that Gordon Brown can do a good job of it (though as a longtime labour cynic, and someone who doesn't believe in his 'great' record at the Treasury I'm still on the fence).

Business investment and productivity are vital to this country, Goverment rarely contains people capable of improving this and bringing in proven faces from the private world should change this.

But we will ofcourse see...

12. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

First day in office marked by an old lie !

Will anyone else notice that his first day in office was the same day that his department re-issued an old lie about the effectiveness of speed cameras ?

http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page12127.asp

I haven't had chance to read the referenced report in detail, but there on the summary report are the words "... but without allowing for selection effects (such as regression-to-mean) ..." - which means that the statistics are flawed and so the 'glowing' conclusions are false !

Well done Gordon, you start your tenure under a flag of "trustworthy" by your department lieing !

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@N1AK

I presumed there was some deliberate irony in "and that their is". Oh, hang on - it really only works once but you go on to say "I'm sure their was". Perhaps you should try to be less critical of the grammar and spelling of others.

For Reference:

There = a place (or a place holder)

Their = belongs to them

They're = they are

And my pet peeve (not that this appeared):

Different FROM not different TO

This topic is closed for new posts.