back to article HP injects blade PCs with fresh Athlons

HP has delivered a much needed refresh to its blade PC product line, upgrading the hardware and graphics performance of the systems. HP released its last batch of Consolidated Client Infrastructure (CCI) gear way back in Nov. of 2005. The big transition taking place then was a shift from Transmeta-based systems to Athlon-based …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why do they hamstring themselves like that?

I looked up the specs. 32 bit vsta on a 64 bit proccy

667mhz memory on a 800MHz FSB

dual 10/100 lan when the CHIPSET provides dual gigabit

sata-150 when again the chipset provides sata-300.

WHY, Why, WHY!

I would buy these for my company this would make my job way easier, except they hamstrung the systems on every front.

/me *shakes head* and gives up on HP for another year.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Specs

Well, considering that no single hard drive will ever make full use of SATA 3GBps, particularly a laptop hard drive, it doesn't matter. I can definitely understand it if they were using something closer to a 10 or 15K SAS hard drive.

As far as 10/100 LAN, that is the current limitation of the switch that is used (the blade PC uses the same infrastructure as the BL e-class blades from a little while back).

Using 32-bit Vista is most likely due to software and driver issues... not to mention, I don't exactly think that you can really put in 2GB or more of memory in that thing anyway. The blade PC is meant more for places that need pseudo-dedicated computers and don't or can't go down the route of a full terminal server.

It's not meant to be an uber-powerful system, it is meant to provide enough processing power needed for most desktop uses. If you need more, there is always the blade workstation or Clearcube.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like