back to article OGC shreds identity scheme documents

The Office of Government Commerce (OGC) has taken to treating its "Gateway" reviews of government IT projects like classified official documents as pressure mounts to have them opened to public scrutiny. The OGC, HM Treasury's procurement sheriff, has ordered civil servants to "securely destroy" all copies of Gateway reviews of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One obvious conclusion

There's one very *obvious* conclusion for the reason to want evidence destroyed -- that the evidence is in some way able to bring disrepute to its authors. Destroying it is, therefore, a bogus way of ensuring that somebody who doesn't deserve to keep their job is able to do so nevertheless.

2. Neil

Nothing to hide, nothing to fear.

"If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear." - That's what the ID card proponents say, right?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The solution is painfully obvious...

Its about time we made accountable those responsible for overseeing the spending of public funds.

If these worms knew they could have the book thrown at them for mis-management or turning a blind eye and they stood to lose financially then they might begin to have some more respect for public funds!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Real reason for the secrecy!

Is, as always, incompetence in the bureaucracy.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ban shredders

Why are government even allowed shredders? There is very little grounds for them in this day and age.

In the same way a child is given blunt scissors until they learn how to run properly with them, so should the government be banned from having access to shredders until they show they wont use them to mislead the electorate.

6. Chris Miller

Commercial in confidence

While we're at it, can we get rid of this nonsense as well? It may be fair play for two businesses to enter into an agreement that includes the requirement not to disclose the financial terms it contains, but NOT when it's my hard-earned dosh that's being spent by a third party (HMG aka Gordon Broon).

If this information was also given a public airing, I'm sure there would be some astonishing revelations. (Well, I can dream can't I?)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I was in the Civil Service when FoI was coming into effect.

The shredder was too hot to touch. Fancy reporting news rather than olds?

8. heystoopid

Enemy aliens within

Enemy aliens within , or how Adolf prepared to slice and dice of his own population , thanks to the use of an IBM electromechanical tabulator!

What is the future when an ersatz democratically elected government decides to abuse the information recorded there in?

Police State Great Britain is becoming closer to reality every day , this system will make it easier to implement , since armed police are now permitted to shoot and kill the innocent victims with total and absolute immunity to all the laws of the land ! Soon all citizens will be required to be submitted to a National DNA data base unlike immigrants , convicted felons or any other person arrested in the street!

But then again , with our current democratically elected brain dead sheep called politicians , one can never tell what really goes on in their tiny remaining half a brain cell!

So what was "Tony Blair's Final Solution" that be the question? , or why did democracy die in the new 21st century?

9. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

I guess that proves it then !

If they feel it's THAT dangerous then they must have some serious s**t to hide.

This topic is closed for new posts.