back to article Brown dwarf cools its jets

Astronomers at the European Southern Observatory (ESO) VLT have found jets coming out from a 24 Jupiter-mass brown dwarf, or failed star, similar to the jets that are found coming out of young, but fully fledged stars. These jets, or "outflows" as they are known, are ubiquitous in the universe, having been seen on everything …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JP

Nice Pic

... with the disclaimer "artistic impression".

You may wish to clarify the analogy for our American friends, as they lack both Euros and kms in their Imperialistic lands.

2. Tom Cooke

Two Euro coin?

Never seen one. Can't we use good ol' decimal on here :)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A two Euro coin seen at a distance of 40km?

Surely it's only a matter of time before someone complains about this sordid combination of metric units and continental currency and why don't you use a more common comparision of a thrupenny bit at a distance of 27 furlongs?

And before anyone asks, I haven't bothered to check if the two are the same...

4. alex studd

that would be

25.75 mm at 198.838782 furlongs or 0.00417561441 rods at 5.431536 kilometers

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Last time I looked...

We in the UK also are lacking both Euros and kms... so JP can add the UK to his/her sneer list.

6. Richard Johnson

how big?

That has to be the strangest unit of measurement I've come across. How big does a two euro coin appear at 40km distance? I've no idea. I thought I'd test it out by propping a two euro coin against the wall and then travelling 40km away. But now I can't see the coin for all the hills and trees in the way.

7. Dillon Pyron

Curvature of the earth

40 km is beyond the curvature of the earth. You'd have to do that in space. And how many of us can afford the $20M to do that? And I'd probably forget to drop by a European bank to pick up the coin on the way to the cosmodrome, so I'd have to do the whole thing all over again.

8. Gregg Bond

Let us not forget d=√13h

Where d = distance in kilometres and h=hight of observation point in metres, therefor 1.8m (approx 6ft) equates to 4.837354649 Km or 3.00579283 miles.

Basically it would be hidden by the horizon far sooner than 40km. I guess im just being pedantic.

9. Jim Sissel

The Earth is Round?

And let's not foget the Earth, as commonly believed now, is round. So that 40km would have to be a straight line from person to coin. That would mean x-ray vision through the Earth.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please!

I think you need to be a little more culturally sensitive. I can't begin to imagine how many people will be offended by this title! Instead of using such inflamitory language perhaps you should have thought a little and come up with something more sensitive such as:

'Little person of African descent chills own turbomachinery'

11. tim chubb

could be worse, could be daily sport title.....

.....midget star, splurge shocker

.....jade : why i love the midget gush star

.....spunky midget found behind uranus

.....paris and space midget video exclusive

all of those could have been far worse

*too much time on hands, damn the days after bank holidays*

This topic is closed for new posts.