back to article ID scheme not failing, just shifting

The Identity and Passport Service has claimed its identity card scheme is not "out of control", as the London School of Economics claims, but is being built on "uncertain" sands. In an argument for "common sense" criticism of complex government IT projects, the IPS claimed that its cost estimates were likely to change with time …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Declan

weak assumptions

I laughed when I read the last line about the LSE's report being based on "weak assumptions". Right at the top, the ID fanboys admit that they're building on "uncertain sands." Is it just me, or is building on "weak assumptions" not exactly the same as building on "uncertain sands?"

I guess the LSE guys can at least explain their weak assumptions based on lack of good data being forthcoming from the ID camp. What excuse can the Identity and Passport Service claim?

2. Ian

On the advisability of building on sand...

"And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it."

So let me get this right. Two thousand years ago, building on sand as a very bad idea was so well understood by everyone that it was used in a parable by Jesus. Today, the Passport Service say building on sand is good, and that's why LSE are wrong. Hmm...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That wonderful IPS report

I've read the report. It contains a number of totals, apparently snatched from thin air, and a load of waffle that doesn't come even close to justifying the few numbers it contains. Still I suppose that 15 pages of waffle looks less spurious than the same volume of random text would do.

If any of the managers I've worked for had received a progress and financial report like this one its author would have been instantly sacked for gross incompetence. Deservedly so, too.

4. Greg

Self financing..........mmm

I guess self financing means that there won't be a tax burden. Fab!! So with the money I'm not taxed I can finance it myself.

Wow! If you look at it like that it's such good value for money.

I hear they're going to be introducing barcode printers in maternity wards and barcode readers in cemetaries. just to make sure we're really gone ;o)

This topic is closed for new posts.