back to article MS fixes Vista iPod corruption glitch

Microsoft has posted a patch for Windows Vista that finally allows iPod owners to eject their music player from PCs running the new operating system without the risk that songs will be damaged. The updates - one each for the 32- and 64-bit versions of Vista - can be downloaded from Microsoft's support site here. Apple …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve

iTunes still corrupting RAID arrays under Vista.

Nice to see some progress, but there's still an outstanding issue with iTunes/Quicktime running on Vista, corrupting Intel RAID arrays.

So far, no one (Apple, Intel or Microsoft) has admitted responsibility and the problem is still ongoing.

2. Tim Hale

Corrupting RAID Arrays?!?!

Thanks Steve!

I had my home office PC out of commission for a week while the hard drives were replaced because of corruption of the RAID array. I didn't know it was iTunes at fault.

Damn Apple and their lack of information and release notes.

If I have psychic powers the next el Reg story is going to be about some VERY bad things happening to Steve Jobs.

3. Steve

More info about iTunes/Vista/RAID issue.

For reference, there is an ongoing discussion regarding the RAID corruption problem on the Apple discussions forum at:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=884173

4. Danny

iTunes Vista RAID array destruction - and a lost weekend fixing it

It took me two re-installations of Vista on my new Dell to realise that's where the problem was. You just don't expect an installed program like iTunes to mess with your RAID arrays.

With no solution in sight, and Dell, MS and Apple all ignoring the problem - the only solution was to come off RAID.

Considering my new Dell has already lost me days whilst struggling with their innovative "out-of-the-box-at-no-extra-charge-bug-that-would-cause-BSOD-for-RAID-PCs-gulp!" (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/28/dell_vista_raid/), I'm hoping removing RAID will have a similar effect to removing tonsils. Had I known it would waste so much of my time, I wouldn't have bothered.

The bigger question, I suppose, is what happens to those poor souls who haven't got years of experience in fixing buggy computers. Joe Blogs would expect his new purchase to ‘just work’.

Come to think of it, perhaps that’s why I've become so popular with my friends over the last few years. "What's that blue screen, Danny?" they say. Quite.

5. Phil Rigby

Get what you deserve!

If you buy something from Dell with Vista loaded on it - and spent "years fixing buggy computers" as written above, then you deserve what you get. I've never bought a machine for myself from a supplier - I always build my own, that's why I know EXACTLY what I'm getting when I power it up.

Also why do you need a RAID array at home??? To protect data in case of failure? Kind of ironic really...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like