back to article Google gives UK mobile maps the green light

Google Mobile Maps is now available to UK users for route planning and local searching. The service, integrated with Google Earth for showing satellite images, has been available as a Java application for a while. But with the UK launch Google has enhanced the route-planning capability, as well as adding searches for local …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not too bad

Installed this on an N95. Maps are OK, performance is OK, routing is quite good too.

Shame the satellite imagery seems to all be the baseline default stuff, rather than the normal Google Earth/Maps multi-resolution ones, but that should improve. Not worth bothering with at the moment.

The controls could be easier too, but that probably depends on the handset. Usable as is I guess.

GPS integration would be nice, probably difficult to implement though.

Traffic data will be useful, could be one big reason for using this alongside the Nokia navigation.

Does chew through a bit of data, but that's what flat-rate is for!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Blackberry

I've been using this service for a while on my Blackberry when I travel in Europe and it has been a boon for finding services like restaurants and shops in a new town. Recently, I was in Germany and was able to locate a great kebab shop a colleague had reccomended and the directions were 100% spot on.

I'd be lost without it now - who needs GPS?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Would be better if it got the directions right

I used google maps a few months ago to try and get to my friends house, and it sent me the wrong way round the M25 - only when I'd gone one junction did I suddenly realise the problem and had to resort to my trusty old atlas.

Google need some more work in the UK before this is any sort of viable replacement to the standard AA and RAC routefinders.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like