2 posts • joined Thursday 6th September 2007 14:53 GMT
Back in 2002, I dealt with a bunch of Gateway machines with 10-20 GB Maxtor drives. We had an extra PC with the lid off and guts out, that we could slap these drives in to pull off data. We used a different disk as OS drive. We'd put these drives in the freezer for 30 min to a couple hours.
They had a chip on them that got wicked hot when they were going bad. So hot that once, while working on one of the dodgy drives, I laid the help ticket on top of the drive and the paper ignited. Yes, folks, flames erupted from the paper on the chip. Luckily it was a small fire. Another time it was just the chip, without paper that burst into flames.
- Facebook offshores HUGE WAD OF CASH to Caymans - via Ireland
- Review Best budget Android smartphone there is? Must be the Moto G
- NSFW Confessions of a porn site boss: How the net porn industry flopped
- World's OLDEST human DNA found in leg bone – but that's not the only boning going on...
- OHM MY GOD! Move over graphene, here comes '100% PERFECT' stanene