* Posts by Grifter

170 posts • joined 22 Jul 2007

Page:

Microsoft has open-sourced PowerShell for Linux, Macs. Repeat, Microsoft has open-sourced PowerShell

Grifter

????????

World, upside down? When is what? Why the who?

WHICH FOR WHERE? *explodes*

22
0

Native Skype for Windows Phone walked behind shed, shot heard

Grifter

Re: I've been dragging my heels over Skype...

>> Has anyone looked at Brosix?

I asked the same question in a previous skype article, I got no answers but 10 downvotes (for some reason, go figure). I haven't tried brosix myself yet but I'd be eager to hear your opinion of it. Wanting a native linux client rather than a webbified version it seems there are two main options, brosix and discord. Opinions/experiences on either are very welcome, please share all the good/bad if you have any.

1
0

IPv6 now faster than IPv4 when visiting 20% of top websites – and just as fast for the rest

Grifter
Headmaster

You can say irrespective or regardless, but you can't say irregardless.

1
0
Grifter

Re: And what about BT and Virgin?

Sad to say but your traffic is most likely sniffed by someone somewhere, whether you use a tunnel or not, so don't let that argument stand in your way.

0
0

Apple Watch craze over before it started: Wrist-puter drags market screaming off a cliff

Grifter

Re: Could be...

Never. You're just wearing it wrong.

12
0

Microsoft to rip up P2P Skype, killing native Mac, Linux apps

Grifter

There's one called Brosix, but I haven't tried it myself, anyone have experience with it?

http://brosix.com

0
2

Star Trek Beyond: An unwatchable steaming pile of tribble dung

Grifter

Re: Nobody stopped and asked the question; 'Do we need to remake Star Trek?'

>>The people who make these remakes claim

>>that they have a love for the subject matter

Actually, Abrams never liked Star Trek, he didn't like it at all until he started working on his own movie of it, then he 'fell in love with it', so the only trek he had a love for, was his own.

“I stopped listening to you when you said you didn’t like ‘Star Trek.’ I know what happened because your mouth kept moving after that, so I’m assuming you apologized,”

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/may/14/entertainment/la-et-st-jj-abrams-star-wars-versus-star-trek-jon-stewart-20130514

4
0

Windows 10 a failure by Microsoft's own metric – it won't hit one billion devices by mid-2018

Grifter

You can't say I'm wrong when the evidence isn't in yet. Time will tell, but history is on my side.

1
0
Grifter

I'm gonna call bs on that; throughout its existence ms has been pulling dick moves. It's what they do. And every time you'll take it, and still get on the bandwagon, because it's what you do. Perhaps not 'you' in an individual sense, but certainly in a general one.

It won't be any different this time.

12
47

One in five consumers upgraded to Win10 for free instead of buying a PC

Grifter

Re: PC sales decline

Good for you dude. The moment of anger is key, that's what separates the win power users who go back, from the ones who stay. Your next place to visit should be www.gamingonlinux.com (:

0
0

Use Brexit to save smokers' lives and plug vaping, say peers

Grifter

Re: Not scientific, but true

Same. Smoked 14.5 years, tried to quit in that time but was a complete wreck, and still went back to smoking. Heard of ecigs, researched it for a week, ordered my kit, and have been smoke free since I got my kit in the mail, 29 dec 2010. Don't really vape anymore either, but it's fun to take out on occasion.

8
0

Raspberry Pi 3 tops SBC poll for self-brew hackers and Linux folk

Grifter

Re: Meh

Hi, going to assume you're talking about bash_completion and not just auto-completing filenames, the more advanced bash_completion is made available by the package bash-completion, it sounds to me like that package just isn't installed, so first step is to check that. If it is installed and you still don't have it enabled then we're unfortunately going to have to suggest you check your bash resources; check your ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bashrc file if they contain:

if [ -f /etc/bash_completion ] && ! shopt -oq posix; then

. /etc/bash_completion

fi

That's the default one anyway, I mean you don't really need that whole if statement, you just need to source /etc/bash_completion really. Anyway, to get bash_completion going it's one of those two steps (or possibly both) that are giving you crap, and that's how you fix it.

If I have misunderstood you and your problem isn't really with bash_completion, but rather just basic tab-hitting to auto-complete filenames and hitting tab itself has stopped working, may I suggest that you might have befucked your ~/.inputrc - this file needs to be copied from /etc into your home and then modifications added afterwards, if you just add a single modifier, _all_ other bindings will stop working, the file needs to be complete.

If this still isn't the case I'd be rather interested in hearing more about your issue, sounds like an interesting puzzle (:

5
0

A month to save digital currency Ethereum?

Grifter

Currency schmurrency, can't we get to Post-Scarcity already?

0
0

Linux devs open up universal Ubuntu Snap packages to other distros

Grifter

Re: What is the advantage of snap over static linking?

>> Why bother?

Because it makes certain things easier. Not all things. Certain things.

11
0

Wales gives anti-vaping Blockleiters a Big Red Panic Button

Grifter

Re: "Vaping is harmless"

>> (and what random mix of toxins is in the vapour?)

What the fuck is a toxin? Please define toxin. There are no random elements in vapour, it's a base of either vegetable glycerin or propylene glycol, or a mix of those two, plus nicotine for those who use that, and some flavouring.

Toxin. How fucking lazy is that word.

22
2
Grifter

Re: Strange Sign

>> shouldn't non-vapers have the right not to have to passively

>> inhale the nicotine and other ingredients of the addicted?

Shouldn't pedestrians have the right not to passively inhale the car fumes and other ingredients of the addicted (to driving)? I don't think the world works like that dude, if you are offended by something in public, you have to move away from it, you can't expect it to be moved away from you.

And anyway, is nicotine where you draw the limit? Because the other 'ingredients' as you so quaintly put it, is nothing more than vegetable glycerine (safe), propylene glycol (safe), plus maybe some fragrance (and if you are upset by fragrance, maybe you should just plug your nose instead, the world is full of them, including obnoxious people who bathe in axe).

>> When I'm drinking a can of cola I don't occasionally exhale

>> a cloud of the stuff and expect you to breath it in.

Don't you? What do you think a burp is? How can you be so oblivious.

19
2

'Whites are taking over': Race storm hits heart of Africa's internet body

Grifter

It might never end, but hopefully time will marginalize it.

The idea of "We exist without skin colour" regardless which words express it are used a lot but mostly by white people, well meaning by all accounts. The problem is that for a loooong time societies have been built on racism, and while societies try to move away from the overt racism (like slavery, apartheid), the racism is still systemic and deeply rooted in all institutions, and in all likelihood will never vanish entirely.

So the phrase, "We exist without skin colour", for a well meaning white person is self evident, it's obvious and true. Absolute truth.

But for a person of colour, that same expression might be met with "Then why does the police keep pulling me over? Why do people keep giving me suspicious looks in the supermarket? Why did you give the job to this incompetent tosser when I was more than qualified and better suited?"

So if we exist without skin colour, why does skin colour still make people judge others especially negatively? It's clearly a more complicated question, but it's sad that it has to be, you can't control what other people do (or at least you shouldn't try - bad things happen then), you can only control yourself, so that is where change must first take place.

5
8

Microsoft won't back down from Windows 10 nagware 'trick'

Grifter

Re: N.W.O.

>>This was the day I decided ...

>> Will it be worth the effort?

I'm not sure, it depends on how thoroughly pissed off you are; It's actually a lot harder for a windows poweruser to switch to Linux than it is for a complete newbie to learn because there's just so much ingrained expectance (of how things work). But fury with a bit of stubborness is exactly what will get you there.

I don't know what process will be best for you, but I can tell you what I did on my day of fury - I decided that I'd either learn to use Linux (with no prior knowledge) or stop using computers altogether. I saved what little was of actual import, text files and pics mostly then blew away all windows and went into the deep end, I very specifically did not want any remaining windows anywhere, just in case I would feel something was too hard and come crawling back. I'd push through my ignorance and learn.

I installed Debian, and probably fucked up the first install, so I installed it again. I did not go for a full install but rather a barebones install and then manually picked and chose what I wanted, I decided that for the first week I wouldn't even bother with X, I'd learn what I could about the console, and learn how to achieve in console what I'd normally expected to need a gui for.

I learned about the programs in /bin and /usr/bin, and some of the sbin ones, I learned how to use man on the commands, or just add --help after each command, and I just built my knowledge from the ground up.

After a week I installed X, I didn't understand X so I didn't want the packaging system to do it for me (to be fair, at that point it felt like the package system was far more frail especially when dealing with X), so I downloaded separate files from XFree86 and ran the shellscript to set it up. I don't advise using this method today for X ;)

Anyway, turns out that Linux is pretty easy to learn, you need to shed some preconceived notions and stop expecting things to work like in win, the struggle lies in learning "how to learn".

But once you have that down, how to search duck/google, once you get the basics under you, it becomes pretty straight forward, everything functions in a very logical manner so you can predict events and identify problems in any part of the chain on your own, and there are always many ways to solve a problem and only your own imagination is what stops you.

Finally, for me it's been worth it, I have a lot of fun running Linux and I feel like I'm far more creative than I ever was when I ran win, it levelled up my skills in critical and logical thinking. The only problem I have with Linux now, is that there are more games on steam that I want to play, than I have time to play.

10
0

Politician claims porn tabs a malware experiment, then finds God

Grifter

Re: I don't see the problem

I'm pretty sure that the only big deal is the one he's making about it. Fucking douchebags the lot of them, just fucking own it, instead of these ridiculous mental gymnastics which in this case he went above and beyond with.

25
0

Japanese artist fined for virtual vagina files

Grifter

Re: Nobody is talking about "down under"

Pussy bad, penis good.

Then again, they're hardly the only nation dealing with repression and shame.

2
0

Your mother has a smooth forehead, Klingon language lovers roar at Paramount

Grifter

Fuck CBS rectally with a thorny corncob for their bullshit with Axanar and Federation Rising.

25
2

Docker hired private detectives to pursue woman engineer's rape, death threat trolls

Grifter

Re: The biological imperative.

>>Somehow it brings "the final solution" to my mind.

And the Hitler award goes to Hyperbolic AC! Congratulations!

4
0
Grifter

Re: hmm

That's some grade A trolling right there mr werdsmith.

2
3
Grifter

Re: @Grifter

Well let me rephrase for you - a person who sexually harasses another is predatory, it's traditionally been helped by the unwillingness of the victim to come forward out of fear of retribution, in this environment predators thrive, and yes traditionally this dynamic has men being the predator, by far. I thought my last post made that clear, most men are not people who harass women, but you don't get a cookie or a medal for being a decent human being, it's simply expected.

2
0
Grifter

Well-behaving men behave well? Also, water wet. Are you talking about men in general, or men who harass in general? I was under the impression we were talking about the latter. If over there, the men who harass don't behave like predators, kudos, I guess? Now if you could only get them to stop harassing too...

2
5
Grifter

>>Have you ever experienced being a man in a 99% female workplace?

No, I have however heard anecdotally about men who feel uncomfortable and like they're being treated as a piece of meat in such a situation. Certainly harassment can go both ways, the difference however in all those instances were that women generally do not behave like predators and are nowhere as aggressive in their pursuant harassment. Nevertheless let me be clear, harassment is not ok and everyone has the right to feel safe in their workplace, free of worrying about what to wear or how they look for fear of someone who wasn't raised to treat people decently.

That said... Have you known a lot of tech companies with a 99% female workforce? Thought not.

11
4
Grifter

>>Personally I don't think I've ever encountered sexism or racism on a personal level at work.

Well see, here's one problem with that; you're not a woman.

Unless you are in their shoes (literally), you will never ever see or experience that offhand remark, the subtle but inappropriate touch, the leering, the sneering, the utter outrage from some men who yell obscenities at women who choose not to acknowledge them when 'all they did' was to tell them how pretty they were, as if the women exist merely to make some guy's boner happy.

It is really easy as a man to say you've never seen or experienced it, and that might be why it gets dismissed or ridiculed when brought up; most women who are harassed don't even speak about it, usually for fear of retribution, getting fired, being pushed out.

You having never seen or experienced it sadly means nothing, maybe it will mean something to you when it's your daughter or girlfriend whom it happens to.

19
5

Dell's Ubuntu-powered Precision Sputnik now available worldwide

Grifter

Re: Anyone remember DellUNIX or the DellStation?

This sounds really interesting, assuming you are who you say you are, if this doesn't get on the register proper then don't let it die out here, write up some stories and link them, I'm eager to hear more anyway.

1
0

Baby Ubuntus toddle forth into the big scary world of beta

Grifter

Re: A Linux experience

>>Linux could do a lot worse than providing an interface which mimics

>>this. If you want converts, why try reinventing the interface..

Not that I speak for all Linux users, but no we don't _want_ converts, if you want to convert that's great but it should be on your terms, noone else really gives a shit what you run =)

But as a new user you demonstrate the ignorance (not said with malice) which comes with it, Linux is not a single entity that provides 'stuff', like user interfaces, they are provided usually by individuals or groups of individuals who share an interest and a general direction on how a user interface should function. That is why there are hundreds of different user interfaces available, because there are hundreds of people (and more!) that each have their own opinion on how a good user interface looks.

At the same time, "Why try reinventing the interface?", because that's what using Linux is all about, for a lot of people, it's a way to explore, and come up with new solutions. Or just be creative. Use your imagination.

0
4

Science contest to get girls interested in STEM awards first prize to ... a boy

Grifter

Re: Alternative headline

You have gone completely batshit. The everyday man-hating feminazis? Seriously? Do you wear tinfoil-hats to protect yourself against their feminine man-controlling mind-rays too?

Clearly, this is your opinion. Now _that_ is fucking scary. You are a dinosaur and your viewpoint is fossilized.

The only people who fear giving women equal rights and representation, are the losers who despite after years of living with extreme privilege end up on the bottom, where they comfort themselves knowing that at least they can be superior to women. The future must be fucking TERRIFYING for you.

3
13
Grifter

Re: Alternative headline

You sound positively terrified of women.

3
8

Who hit you, HP Inc? 'Windows 10! It's all Windows 10's fault'

Grifter

Re: Win-10-nic lowering new PC sales (as expected)

>>But why aren't the hundreds of millions of

>>Linux and other non-Windows operating

>>systems users not purchasing printers?

>>Are Linux, etc., users not buying printers either?

Correct. Fucking printers man. Fuck em.

0
0

Hijack wireless mice, keyboards, with $15 of kit and 15 lines of code

Grifter

Re: There is a reason for...

Are you only allowed to buy from those three stores? Or is it a self-imposed limitation like a new year's resolution?

4
1

Reminder: iPhones commit suicide if you repair them on the cheap

Grifter

>>On the one hand, there is a valid case for preventing

>>unknown components affect the security container in

>>Apple devices, because that manes that even a

>>hardware hack won't expose data.

If you put in a hardware hack that could expose all the data, this bricking won't help save you, it only bricks the phone if you try to update the firmware, which if you're the one trying to get at the data, I presume you won't be doing. You really think that sounds like security?

62
1

Ubuntu 15.10: Wily Werewolf – not too hairy, not too scary

Grifter

Re: to be that guy

You're such a rebel; Here, have a medal made out of aluminum foil lids from discarded yoghurt containers.

14
0

Another chance to win a 6TB Western Digital Black hard drive

Grifter

I told IT to leg it

They eight-legged it

0
0
Grifter

SOMEONE PLEASE

DEBUG IT

0
0
Grifter

I just crawled...

to say...

I love you

0
0
Grifter

I only asked for IT Support...

... I didn't know they'd send a creeper!

0
0
Grifter

LIARS! They told me Web 1.0 was extinct!

0
0

High-heeled hacker builds pen-test kit into her skyscraper shoes

Grifter

Somewhat prude?

Your link to her imgur is titled "in a post (somewhat NFSW)", aside from the typo, why is her imgur page not safe for work? There's no nudity, there's no sex, there's nothing unsafe except for some power and machine tools. Maybe you've been locked up in a basement too long Mr Pauli, but outside there are women, and they *gasp* do stuff. While looking like women. This is 2015, so no need to be a prude =)

4
2

Enjoy vaping while you still can, warns Public Health England

Grifter

Re: Does anyone know...

Actually unlike burning secretive organic material (ciggs) which we have no idea exactly what they put in, we know exactly what's in the liquids to vape.

The smoke detection systems don't pick it up since it's not smoke. If you were to exhale a cloud directly onto a smoke detector, some of them (that detect density I believe) can trigger, but short of that no.

But your comment that "we don't really know what's in the fumes" speaks volumes, it's not like vaping is new, it's been around for years, you could have educated yourself in 5 minutes by using the internets.

1
0
Grifter

Re: Nicotine-free?

That's what I did. I don't vape much anymore, a couple of days per year maybe, if that. The compulsion to smoke went away with vaping, and then compulsion disappeared, it became an intermittent pleasure. Now the hassle of cleaning my tanks and charging batteries keep my gear in the corner. I view it like candy or chips now, albeit a tad more meckish to set up.

1
0

Red-stained Opera wants someone to hug it and whisper: 'No more pain, no more tears'

Grifter

Re: Wow, all 4 presto fans in one place

The fact the company is looking to spin down should tell you all you need to know about them.

3
0
Grifter

Re: I would be worried...

Opera 12.16 linux, with Vivaldi as backup. There's just no substitute.

4
0

Lights out for Ada Initiative – women's group closing shop

Grifter

Re: More, please

Well if YOU haven't seen it, then it MUST not be happening! Your logic is impeccable and my hat is off to you.

4
6

Beaten blokes HATE the women who frag them in online games

Grifter

Re: Hardcoded behaviour not going away anytime soon!

"Do women really prefer pink though?"

They have no choice, from birth they're programmed to like it, everything everywhere is pink, go into girl's section in toystores, pink, everything.

It's the same reason most guys shy away from pink, we too have been programmed, it's an inferior colour and would associate us with being girls.

Even if you recognize this fact and you try to rebel against it as a parent to a girl, it's insanely difficult to achieve.

4
0

GOOGLE GMAIL ATE MY LINUX: Gobbled email enrages Torvalds

Grifter

Re: Perhaps Hillary Clinton could offer some useful advice?

You know, that's probably exactly what gmail runs on (:

14
2

Five lightweight Linux desktop worlds for extreme open-sourcers

Grifter

Re: Bad marketing El Reg

>>If the linux crowd want Linux to be more readilly adopted

While I can't speak for the crowd, though I am part of it, I don't want it more readily adopted. It has managed fine all these years without being readily adopted, and it'll continue.

My beef with the article is the same as with all these articles, why in the fuck would you keep treating a whole distro as if it was the user interface? The article even mentions that you can just install whatever WM or DE you want on any distro, and while the dependencies won't run into "Ooo thousands of packages scary", there might be some packages, and that's what dependency calculation is all about, has been all about! That's why it was created OVER A DECADE AGO.

21
1

GhostShell back from the other side with mass data dump

Grifter

Re: Link

Mental Gymnastics - the workout that gives you the moral highground.

1
0

Page:

Forums