He did it right
I actually found this launch (and the first hand-on videos) very reassuring:
- I was expecting it to be overpriced: it starts at $499 ($629 with 3G) and the 14.95/month for 250MB data plan is quite affordable
- I was wondering about typing: the keyboard dock looks really good
- I was worrying about eye-strain: the IPS screen is nearly as comfortable to the eyes as a Kindle
- I was wondering about software availability: it runs 99+% of the current iPhone software library
- I was wondering about productivity: they redesigned iWork for the iPad and if you get the keyboard dock, it should work quite well.
As per the comparison with netbooks, I'd say that it's nearly impossible to get MacBook-like build quality and design on netbooks (probably only the Nokia Booklet 3G comes close) so the iPad is a good compromise, without ruining yourself. Moreover, being only 0.5" thick, it's much more portable than a netbook.
I'm no Apple fanboy (hell, I don't even own a "Jesus Phone"), but I definitely will put this gadget on my wishlist.